Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
FC 20 2009 new owner- Heater start up

New AS owner in the northeast trying to learn all the systems. I am unable to get the heater to work. Batteries are topped off, propane is full Shore power is still being understood. Could someone direct me to the proper procedure to fire up the heat.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Siloam Springs , Arkansas
In my '09 27 footer, we have a single thermostat for the AC, heat pump, and furnace.

Use the mode button to select the furnace mode. One can see the modes change in the display. Then the up or down buttons to set the temp.

The furnace fan will start and run for a minute or so, then the burner should light.

Regards,

JD

'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
on our '01 startup is pretty much automatic. With propane on set the thermostat to a setting a bit warmer then current temps and let it work it's magic. Like with the water heater you might have air in the line and take several startups to evacuate all the air. try lighting up the stove to make sure propane is flowing. Our thermostat has to be switched to the proper mode ( heat ) then set the temp. Now, if that won't work then you will need to do some troubleshooting to make sure you have gas and ignition and power to the heater etc.

Good luck with it. We've never used the heat when traveling but my son used it last year after the hurricane when his power was out for 2 wks. They were showering in our trailer and used the heat then.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Ok,Bam for short,
Your furnace runs independently from shore power so we will just address 12 volt stuff. Make sure your 12v power is on. I don't know what thermostat you have but make sure, if it has a clock, the clock is set. If the thermostat doesn't come on, you may have to mess with the telephone like connection behind the thermostat to make sure it has a good connection. I assume you have turned your thermostat up to about 70 and nothing has happened. Identify the fuse that operates the furnace to ensure that it is getting power. If the fuse is ok, open the furnace panel on the outside of the Airstream and identify the connection to the electronic control centre. It will be a module with a plug going into it. Sometimes, if the thing has been sitting for a while, particularly in the moist east, this plug needs to be cleaned or wiggled or just pulled out and reinserted. Now, if that does not get your furnace running, others will have to help and I'm pretty sure it gets more complicated. That is what got mine running on my old Safari and that is the extent of my knowledge about the furnace. Good luck. Jim
Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Thanks. I will try. Just not firing up. I will check the connections.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
When you say. Make sure the 12vdc is on what do you mean. I shave the electronic battery switch on. There is a red refer/fan switch on the left side of the AS entrance
Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Make sure you also follow the advise of the other posters because it is excellent advise and the steps are necessary. If your kitchen fan works, you have 12 v power. All your lights and fans operate on 12v power. Jim
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Thumbs up

Make sure you have no mud-dauber nests in the burner tube.

Open the door and shine a flashlight in here....

Had to carefully bust it up with a long poker and vacuum out with a skinny home made snoot on the shop-vac.

We had some every year until I covered with furnace filter stuff before storage....

Bob
Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Thanks cleaned out the exhaust port. Cleaned the controller wires and switched to furnace. Warm air. Thanks forum responders really appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Tallahassee , Florida
I just had to replace 2005 Penquin 13.5BTU ac/heat pump unit with a new 15K btu Dometic ac/heatpump with new thermostat and I'm having problems with the furnace. It was professionally installed and the ac/heat pump work great. but went to use the furnace and it is not putting out sufficient heated forced air to keep the trailer at 68 degrees when it is 35 degrees outside. Never had a problem with the furnaces hot air before always was too hot now can't keep it warm enough, any thoughts as to what might be wrong?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiFC20LBI View Post
Thanks. I will try. Just not firing up. I will check the connections.
Pull the cover off the furnace inside the FC and check to see if there is a reset button on the right hand side. I ran across the reset button when our furnace on our 09 20' FC quit for no apparent reason. I reset it and the furnace has worked flawlessly ever since. Good luck.