Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
ACE Hardware usually has cheap propane in bulk.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
ACE Hardware usually has cheap propane in bulk.
The ones near me don't even have a parking lot big enough for my Interstate to enter for filling its on-board propane tank, so I never even thought of that. But for folks looking to refill their portable cylinders, that's certainly a viable option…
Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 AM   #23

harrison , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I guess I am confused. I find the average about $2.25 to 2.50 a gallon for propane and it is available at most service stations and many rv parks. It may be not quite as efficient but your generator will last longer and it is cleaner burning. Second if you have a power outage at your main home you could use it off your gas supply to run your electric furnace. The conversion kit I have is gasoline/propane/and natural gas.
I have an EU2000i at home. They are very durable. I work in lower Manhattan, and virtually all the vendor carts that run generators use the EU2000 day in and day out. They put thousands of hours on them without a hiccough. I researched propane / natural gas conversion, given that long term storage of gas around the house raises a number of issues.

From what I have been reading, engine life is dramatically reduced by propane / natural gas conversions- on water cooled engines, life expectancy is reduced by 30%, and air cooled lifespan can be reduced by as much as 90%. That was disappointing to read, since natural gas is a reliable backup in a power outage, and propane has a very long shelf life.

Price of propane in northwestern NJ is about $2.50 if you bring in a small cylinder (up to 20 to 40 lb). Truck delivery to fill my 100 lb cylinder at the house is a bit more expensive, at between $4.66-5.50/gal.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
When did Honda start requiring 89 octane (mid-grade) gasoline? The Honda Handi 3000i I bought 5 ~ 6 years ago recommended REGULAR 87 Octane gasoline. Maybe I'm lucky but, I've never had a problem using gas that contained 10% ethanol (which is what is available in most gas stations these days). I do "run it dry" if I won't be using it for an extended time (which is just good practice for any small gas engine).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Any generator should be run dry if it is not used at least once a week or any small engine for that matter.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have carried my Honda's for 4 years under a fiber top with no problems. I use 87 ethanol and have had not problems. You will need to vent. I had a gas can with limited venting and it "swelled up", I make sure my cans can vent. I carry a big funnel. I have just bought a new gas can from Amazon that I think will eliminate the need for a funnel and it has a nice gage to see how much you have put in. This will make it nice and no spills.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

.....snip "air cooled lifespan can be reduced by as much as 90%. That was disappointing to read, since natural gas is a reliable backup in a power outage, and propane has a very long shelf life."

Proof?

Convince me.

LPG is a cleaner burning fuel.

Petrol...'kinda durty.

Durt=ware

Clean=time.

Bob
Old 12-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Problem is that propane or natural gas is a 'dry' fuel that provides no lubrication to valve seats. Engines designed for gaseous fuels use different materials for valves and valve seats. Some conversion outfits suggest running a converted engine for a couple hours on gasoline to build up the deposits on valve and seats to help prevent issues. I don't have relative life data, but can see that converted engines may wear differently.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeb View Post
I use the easy pour 2 1/2 gal cans. Much easier to see how much you have poured and easier to control the flow. My Honda generator dealer suggested using a stabilizer in all my gas year round. I use the same gas cans for my snowblower. I never know when the season is over for the snowblower. And I use the generators sometimes for camping, but they are never really put away for an extended time. I never run the snowblower or the generators dry and they all start on the first pull since I started putting stabil in all my gas.
Bingo! I have done this for more than 10 years without any issues. I keep a 2.5 gallon can in the garage with Sea Foam additive. It goes into the mower, snow thrower, edger and my Honda 200i. I suppose I could find a place where I can get "real" gas as they say in Texas but is it really worth it? And, what would I do when I am on the road? If I were having trouble with my small engines then I would look into it. I like my system. It is easy and the extra I pay for the stabilizer is cheap insurance. Like I said, over 10 years and counting, no problems.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question "propane or natural gas is a 'dry' fuel"

Never realized that carbon build-up was 'lubrication'.

Scraped many a head to get rid of all the lube build up.

Bob
Old 12-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't think he is referring to carbon. Natural gas is a dry fuel and definitely takes its toll on valve faces and seats. Not as bad is propane, but it will wear non-hardened seats and faces more quickly than gas or ethanol blends.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ethanol gas used in Honda Eu2000i

No, not carbon. Personally I haven't seen much carbon in modern engines-- they burn real lean. Back in the leaded gas days it was lead deposits lubricating and cushioning valves. Now it's other stuff added to the fuel I assume. But the base problem is valve and seat wear with other than gasoline blends. Not a petroleum engineer, so don't know the exact details.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
No, not carbon. Personally I haven't seen much carbon in modern engines-- they burn real lean. Back in the leaded gas days it was lead deposits lubricating and cushioning valves. Now it's other stuff added to the fuel I assume. But the base problem is valve and seat wear with other than gasoline blends. Not a petroleum engineer, so don't know the exact details.

You are right on the mark in your history as well as current fuels.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #34
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Any generator should be run dry if it is not used at least once a week or any small engine for that matter.

Perry
Exactly....I have lived 2 blocks from an 10% ethanol station for nearly 25 years, so that is the gas I buy. I drain my small engines when they are going to sit a while. I never have had one with fuel delivery problems. One of my chainsaws is a 1985 model. It still runs like a top....As far as generators go, I have a 150 buck Champion that I have have used twice a month for 3 years. I always let it run dry. Never had an issue.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #35

harrison , New Jersey
some useful info on various fuels here:
Generator Fuel, What Generator Fuel is Best
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Long term storage of Honda eu2000i, is it advisable to empty gas tank then start generator to use remaining gas in system & finally drain carb at drain port? I have been informed that the fuel pump diaphragm could become damaged because it is not suspended in gas during storage & it can fail because of this. Also, I would like to store my Honda in a controlled air environment eliminating FL humid conditions. My Hondas are new & is Stabil (Honda recommended) or what about using "Startron or Century" gas stabilizer? Will make every effort to use non-ethanol gas!
Tom Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I installed a petrol shutoff....turn off and let it stall, open bowl drain screw, tip...close.

Tank stays at least 1/2 full with stabilizer added. Gets run on petrol regularly to make sure it's ready for an emergency if needed.

Bob
Old 12-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You don't have to install a shutoff switch. After removing the side panel, there is a white connector at the lower right. Just disconnect it and shut "off" the shutdown knob. The fuel will cease to flow, but the ignition will continue. After it stalls, drain the bowl of the few drops left, reconnect the white connector and button up.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

snip....."You don't have to install a shutoff switch."

Granted but I did it to make it easier switch back & forth when the LPG regulator is attached.
I always start on petrol, shut off, and open the LPG when it starts to stumble.

The storage benefit is just an added perk.

Bob
Old 12-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I getcha, just wanted others to know.....