Welcome to the Forums!
Originally Posted by amymarie
I am in need of a weight distribution hitch for my 74 Tradewind Landyacht. Any thoughts on where I can find a used one?
When considering a used weight distributing hitch system, you will want to proceed with caution on several issues:
- Veify the shipping and handling costs. Weight distributing hitch assemblies are quite heavy, and shipping and handling costs can add up quickly.
- Verify that replacement parts for the hitch are still available from the manufacturer. Some like Reese, seem to support their older products quite well while some like EazLift do not necessarily support their older products with repair/replacement parts.
- Verify that the weight distribution bars are of a proper weight rating for your trailer/tow vehicle combination. For instance, if you are towing with a softly sprung tow vehicle, weight distribution bars with a weight rating of between 600 and 700 pounds would probably be in the ballpark. If you tow with a stiffly sprung tow vehicle, 500 pound weight distribution bars would likely be more appropriate.
- Does the hitch include a ball mount with sufficient drop or rise for your tow vehicle? If it doesn't, you will want to verify that a bar with the necessary rise or drop is available that is compatible with the balance of the hitch.
- If the hitch has a "welded" ball mount you will want to verify that there is a hitch specialist or welder in your area who is familiar with the proper methods to employ to properly setup this type of hitch - - hitch specialists or welders with this capability are VERY scarce in the area where I live and in other areas where I have lived recently.
I would suggest getting a firm price on a new hitch setup from a source of your choosing (including any shipping and handling charges) so that you will have a basis from which to compare the total cost of the used unit (configured to work with your coach and tow vehicle) vs. the cost of a new unit with similar configuration.
Good luck with your search and research!