Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I guess I'm another dufus.

I been told that once you become a senior you can use that in place of dufus. I resort to that from time to time.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I been told that once you become a senior you can use that in place of dufus. I resort to that from time to time.

I think "elder" sounds better.

Now what was I looking for when I came into this room and saw the bright shiny thing?

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Bob, Lynn, Twinkie, Kevin, Don, w7, Gene, thank-you for your help. That plastic thing-a-ma-jig wasn't the easiest to work with. A metal plug would have made it so much easier. Anyway, I got it open and the water poured out like Niagara Falls. Then I lifted the pressure release valve - nothing much happened there - don't know if this is how it's supposed to go.

Then I drained the grey/black water tanks - not much in them - have only been using the toilet for occasional wee-wees since coming home from trip. Opened up all the taps - a few sputters - I figure this is normal, since I haven't hooked up to city water or filled fresh water tank since returning home either.

Gene wrote.....You can run the furnace tonight set at 40˚ F. Tomorrow you can finish winterizing. Don't let the dealer scare you. Do it yourself and save some money. RV Antifreeze (it is pink) is available lots of stores. Ours took 2 gallons—I guess that's about 9 liters. There's also a bypass kit for the water pump which makes it all a lot simpler.

The dealer does scare me...and I do a pretty job of scaring myself too. Still intimidated about wrecking something. I have drained all the tanks, opened taps.
Not sure about that bypass valve you mentioned. Furnace is on; I'm set 'til morning. will study John's link, thanks.

I will still take trailer in on Nov. 21. Needs some warranty work - tail-light has been flickering on and off since purchase for one thing.

Can't thank you all enough for helping me through this. One day I hope I'll know as much as you guys, then I can help someone else.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
According to Robert Cross' post you can put the AF directly into the freshwater tank and then use the pump to pull it through all the lines once you have blown the lines out rather than messing with bypass kit for the water pump. here's the link to his post
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Make sure that you read some of the winterizing threads. Keep in mind that there are fools like me among us that get along fine by just blowing the air out of the lines VERY thoroughly with an air compressor as per the manual. I only use antifreeze in the sink traps. But then again I have always lived on the edge (not).

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you should only use a six point socket on this plug unless you plan on replacing it everytime you remove it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
You could save yourself the aggravation next year by replacing the plastic plug with a brass plug or even better with a valve ( already mentioned I think). Then you just have to open the valve to drain. Best would be a quarter turn valve. A typical twist valve has a seat and rubber gasket that will go bad in time. The qrtr turn valve I think have a teflon ball and are less prone to trouble. I to have had good luck with draining the system and blowing it out and using antifreeze in the traps and WC bowl. Real simple if you have an air compressor available.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #22
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Use a socket or crescent wench...

Here is a great thread to help.....Start a the beginning and follow John's directions.

MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:22 AM   #23

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

.......OR PLIERS.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09745.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	265057  

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote