Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Dual propane tap for 2 Honda EU2000i generators

Hi, this is a follow up to many questions I've had to make a tap for a dual propane generator connection. I made up the first of my propane (Central Marine Diesel Tri-fuel kit) conversion but still wanted to use my dual 40# tanks on my AS to feed them. So this is how my project finished.

I looked for a good place to tap the 5/8" feed line and decided that I had a natural point on my unit, just behind the front levelers where my feed line lies. This allowed me to use a tee, branch off to my dual disconnects on the opposite side of the trailer. I used a ball valve to have a secure shut off, just before the disconnects. I used a black pipe tee and reducers to make up the fittings into the disconnects. I used pipe strap U clamps to secure all the fittings below the belly pan. I used the Natural gas grill hose and gas fittings from Lowes. And note, copper line is very expensive now. ($50 for 10 ft.)

The only thing is, Lowes will sell you parts but will not help with any engineering of a gas connections. LIABILITY!!!! Seems that they've been sued. So if your interested in buying the gas parts, they will help but will not tell you how to do ANYTHING with gas lines. Do the research before you start a gas line project. And gas lines require a line cutter, flange tool, and threaded connections need gas line Teflon tape. I did have to make a side trip to a Propane Gas supplier, to get a few parts(male quick connect) that Lowes does not carry and they also will be able to supply most of these parts too.

I have a long summer trip planned for this summer and I wanted to have the capability of A/C when I stop for overnights and 4KW should work. And I will have a Reece retractable 15' safety cable to keep them from straying from home. This may have cost me $150 for parts, so if you need to have a pro install this, expect to pay $300+. And above all, if you do this project, be sure to leak test every joint when you pressure test the new line.

Good traveling,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic002.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	102147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic003.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	102148  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic004.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	102149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic005.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	102150  

fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would not sleep well if a retractable cable was the only thing keeping 2 Honda 2K generators from disappearing into the night. Honda's have become the generator of choice for night thieves where I live. A bolt cutter (standard equipment for thieves) won't even slow them down.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Generator Security?

Your right, but I would only use this while I'm in the trailer and using the generators as it's power source. It would on take me a second to know if they were disconnected and I would be out the door, with my camera. Well, that's about all I carry with me these days, and hopefully all I'll need.
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote