Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Dual LP Tank Regulator

Hello -

Does anyone know whether or not the dual-tank LP regulator is a fixable item or if it just needs to be replaced when it stops working properly?

When the switch on ours is pointed to the full tank, and the hose is removed from the empty tank, the pressure in the system is almost nil and there is propane coming from the disconnected hose. I've tried cycling back and forth several times but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
In the short term, leave both tanks hooked up and the empty one with the valve closed.

Can't see having only one tank for longer than it takes to run out and get it filled anyway?

Bill
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Susan
Hello -

Does anyone know whether or not the dual-tank LP regulator is a fixable item or if it just needs to be replaced when it stops working properly?

When the switch on ours is pointed to the full tank, and the hose is removed from the empty tank, the pressure in the system is almost nil and there is propane coming from the disconnected hose. I've tried cycling back and forth several times but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!
When your LP regulator is no longer operating to specifcation (like yours) it is simply time for a new one, as they are NOT serviceable.

I particularly like the Cavagna #70A-190-00016 dual stage automatic changeover model. You hook it up to both tanks and leave BOTH valves open. When you run out of tank #1, the regulator switches over to tank #2, and the indicator shows red at the top.

You then know to move the selector switch to tank #2 and get #1 re-filled.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
We have been looking, unsuccessfuly for a duel tank regulator/propane level guage... is there such a thing? We have the one that turns from green to red but it doesn't tell you how much you have left. Just if it is empty or not....

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
S&S-Let me clarify (Hi lew-how goes it?) I was offering a work-around untill you can get yours serviced (I am assuming you are on the road?).

lew is right-don't fool around with propane...

Bill
Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Willoughby , Ohio
Nope, not on the road - YET!
I'll order up a new one - thanks for the help!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Pressure from the tanks

Pressure from inside the tanks of the new style OPD See Article can stop the flow of the gas, if the flow is to great. In other words, if you take the hose off the gas tank the LP gas stops. That is a new safty feature on the OPD .

I can not tell from how you described your test if your causing this safety feature to over ride the check valve properties of the gas regulator.

To answer your question, if your sure yours is bad, regulators are not repairable.

Here is the one lewster discribed.

Dan
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Willoughby , Ohio
Dan -

The tests I did were to coat the whole assembly with soapy water - no bubbles anywhere (regulator, tanks, tank valves, hoses from regulator to tanks, hose from regulator to rest of trailer).

I removed tank #1 (completely empty) to go get it re-filled.
I switched the regulator to tank #2 (full) and opened the tank valve all the way and there was minimal pressure in the system (water heater flame was VERY low as were the burners on the stove).
Inspecting the dangling hose from the regulator to #1 showed propane gas flowing backward from #2 through and out the hose to #1.
I shut the valve on #2 off completely and will get #1 filled.

It's not gonna be very convenient to get the TT to a dealer - I'm hoping that replacing the regulator isn't difficult.

Thanks for your help!

steve
Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
dual regulator

I have a Fisher R966150 auto change regulator.

I had a leak in the lines and had a problem finding it.
Firstly I assumed the regulator and bought a new one....that was not the problem. Being wise and knowing everything I bought another and found that was not the problem. This one though once installed was only operated 3 days.

I paid (and have the invoice) of $77.95. It is in the box

I would sell for $50.00 plus shipping. and Warranty it as new.

If you are interested please E-Mail me a Pix is available

rbaker.1@netzero.com
I live near Toronto Canada.
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We bought our trailer just last year. On the propane system we went through everything, replacing whatever was soft. One thing I missed was that the "pad" for catalytic heater had deteriorated; it was a definite CO problem (that the new alarm alerted me to).

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Changing the gas regulator

Yes I would say you do need a new regulator.
Changing the regulator is not all that hard. The biggest thing can be the way it mounts to the bracket. Where ever you get the new regulator they should give you the self tapping screws that go through the bracket into the back of the regulator.

It I were changing the regulator I would change the hoses too. The new hand tighten are well worth money.
Here is the Hand tighten type.

If you already have the new type hoses and are not sure what type hose ends you have, the flaired end or the straight end this regulator has both. If you have the straight ends all you have to do is take the brass nipples off and screw into the regulator. You will have to use some type of pipe dope for a sealer with the straight ends. You won't need any type of sealer with the flaired ends.

Here is the regulator

Dan
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote