Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
?driving with fridge on?

hi all-
i have a 57 flying cloud, newly restored with a replacement dometic dual electric and propane fridge. it obviously takes a while for it to get cold on propane. my question is can i turn it on the night before to get cold and then leave the propane on while driving? i have new tanks and new regulator. i know i must put things into the fridge cold.
thanks.
chris

Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yep

This is what the Dometic is designed for. The vast majority of folks here do just that. There are some though that do not feel comfortable running with the propane on so they will turn theirs off before they leave.

There have been thousands of posts regarding this topic. Do a search to read the opposition. I have always run with mine on and will continue to do so until a hear a good argument not to. It is a personal matter for sure. Do what you feel comfortable doing but.......whoops, I almost jumped in with my bias.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
I asked the same question about driving with the fridge on when we first got our AS a year ago. The consensus was that most of us do drive with it on. We do and haven't had any problem, plus the added benefit of ice for our cocktails when we get to our destination.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chris,

These are questions often discussed on the Forum and if you try the search option, you'll find lots of info.

Briefly, propane will cooler substantially faster than electricity. To speed up cooling, put some frozen gel packs in the freezer and a few more in the fridge. The freezer cools first. We turn it on the morning before we leave, or the evening before that so we can start filling it sooner than the day we go.

This is a lot of debate about whether to leave the fridge on during driving. They are designed to operate when driving. Some people (probably a minority) turn it off when approaching gas pumps, though there seems to be little evidence it is a problem to worry about.

Some places restrict the use of propane on bridges and tunnels requiring you to turn the cylinders off. These are mostly in the northeast and Va. Last I checked Nova Scotia and Manitoba required cylinders be turned off.

Enjoy your new to you FC.

Gene
Old 07-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When I joined the forum this seemed to be the regular 'hot topic' that really got folks worked up

Gene's pretty much got it down. We use frozen drinking waterbottles that we drink later, to cool it off to start with, and we rarely run with it on because once you close it up with frozen stuff in it it acts like a cooler. We start it up when we get settled. But that's just because I'm lazy, I would not worry about running with it on if I was traveling from place to place. Heck, most of the time if it's just a long weekend it's easier to just pack a cooler and use that anyway. We're reallllly lazy

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Then more packed it is, the cooler it will stay if it is turned off once it is cold. And you still have to leave some space for the air to circulate.

Many use a small battery powered fan inside the fridge to circulate cold air because these units do not have an internal fan like a residential one does. Some also have a fan in the back to keep air circulating to cool the back.

Gene
Old 07-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
thanks for the input everyone. i will do a search to look at the previous conversations... but likely i will run with it on...
Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
heres a pic of "mable" on the road home from crater lake last week.
can i just say, I LOVE my airstream??
chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cl17.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	697.9 KB
ID:	163612  
Old 07-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Very nice!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I run with mine on...livin on the edge!...I smoke while pumping gas too. :-) Just kidding.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Except for defrosting, ours has been on for about seven years.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
They were built to run while on. I have four kids and we are in and out of it while traveling. so it stays on. And we travel in some very hot weather so it would only stay cold for part of the time. Some of my drive days are all day. There is no way it would stay cool. you'll find a lot more people travel with it on than off. And non have blown up yet.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Ask your insurance company what they want. My insurance company indicates that if my trailer catches fire while traveling and the cause can be determined as the propane fridge, they don't pay the claim. Same goes for if it is in an accident and then catches fire because the propane was left on - if I'm at fault they won't pay for my trailer, if the other driver is found at fault then it depends on whether his insurance will or not, and they suggest not likely that they will. Made my decision easy.

If you are serious about safety, also call your local fire department and ask them what they prefer given if you are in an accident it is often the fire department responds anyway, so what is their requirement?

Think about it, your fridge is a cooler when it is not turned on, so if you are not opening it while driving does it really need to be on?

With guidance from your insurance company and the fire department you can make a decision based on facts, not what the rest of us say or do.

Having seen more than one moho and trailer burnt to the axles on the highway, the latest in mid June on I-5 near Tumwater....................I could not bear to lose my rig that way. But that is just me.........
Old 07-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We do not drive with our fridge on. We don't want the risk. Accidents can happen. We dang near hit a moose once driving to Glacier NP.

If you ride the BC ferries, as we do occasionally, you must turn off your propane before boarding, as an RV's propane did explode on the Kootenay Lake ferry a few years ago.

Our solution is similar to Stefrobrts. We have several of those blue freezer pacs for picnic coolers. With some in the fridge freezer compartment staying frozen, and some in the fridge compartment with the food on Day One, everything stays nice and cold until we are settled and the fridge has been running for a while. We then freeze all of the pacs while stationary, and then put them in the fridge while traveling.