Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #99
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
From the road again, in Moab, UT.

Am having to revise my fridge system slightly. Our friends here just loaded up our freezer compartment w/ some frozen elk tenderloin from a local elk ranch where they are friends w/ the managers. So the blue gel packs had to make way for the venison, and are now in the fridge compartment. However, we figure that frozen venison, if it stays frozen, probably has comparable chilling capability. I'm not sure about the AS Dometic, but a lot of old fridges cool the fridge area by cold air from the freezer that descends into the fridge part. Alternatively, I will ask our friend if we can just stick our cold packs in her freezer overnight for refreezing, as we leave tomorrow for a leisurely trip back to BC.

Canadian and US customs allow a lot of fresh produce across the border, but their lists change frequently due to the lastest pest outbreaks. We had to sacrifice our home-grown tomatoes & peppers to US customs heading south, alas, but the rest of the produce was OK.

I can only imagine that people who drive with their propane on have never had an accident, nor come close to one. We nearly hit a moose running across the road near Glacier NP once. That would be one "venison" experiment I wouldn't want to try!

Yes, it does get hot in Canada, notably in the southern interior of BC where we live.
You know, I never thought of that. I think I will install a valve in the fuel line between the fuel pump and the engine in my cars. I will turn it off while driving so the dangerous pressurized fuel can not escape if I get in an accident.

Why do we have to keep exhuming this thread to argue about it. Those of us who leave them on will continue to leave them on. Those of us who turn them off will turn them off. Everyone does not have to do what you do before you can feel right.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I suspect the thread keeps getting revived because new members are asking for and/or looking for answers to the question all the time. And that's folks need answers too...that's why we are here.

We don't have to argue and get upset about it, though. Just do what you feel comfortable with...there's always more than one way to do most things.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #101
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Actually you car probably already has a roll over swiitch that will turn off the fuel if the car rolls.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #102
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just an update on the ice pac technique. Due to the aforementioned frozen venison problem, we transfered the frozen ice pacs to the fridge, turned on for a couple of days on a "4" setting when stationary, and with the propane turned off when driving. The ice pacs remained mostly frozen the whole time in the fridge area, more than adequate to keep the food cold.

So yes, I agree, people: do what you wanna do. But for those who prefer to drive with the propane turned off for whatever reason, there is a simple, highly functional solution to keeping your food (and beer) cold.

From the road in central Utah, Jeanne

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote