Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
It's curious how these debates spring up on here. I'm not complaining, I think that it's good these things get aired, more than once if necessary.

It seems to me that there is a degree of risk in everything we do. As individuals we assess that risk, maybe call on other information to help the assessment, then decide if we're prepared to accept it or not. Me, I choose to tow my Airstream with the propane valves off; it's my decision (aided by some sage old trailer types I've met and one particular incident I witnessed a few years ago) and I'm content with that. Others choose to tow with propane and appliances on, and that's fine. I've enjoyed hearing their reasons for doing so, I don't necessarily agree but it's up to them.

The majority here prefer to tow with propane and appliances on; a number, who are in the minorty, don't. It would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything, eh?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The Canadians are the ones who allow an rv dealer to set up their vehicles to tow way over their capacities which is more dangerous than traveling with the gas on,,,so go figure. Jim

Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When I looked through Woodalls to see what Provinces and Territories required the propane be turned off, only Manitoba and Nova Scotia showed up. Every Woodalls listing campgrounds has a section on rules in all states, provinces and territories.

Gene
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #74
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Obviously we all have our own comfort levels. We turn off the fridge while traveling, partly due to the risk factor, but also because we truly see no need to leave it on. Our Dometic fridge seems to be really well insulated. We freeze several of those blue gel packs, and then put them in with the food while traveling. Once we're camped, we turn on the fridge and refreeze them, so they're ready for the next travel day. Real simple. We still have room in the freezer for small food items. It's not like we need to load up on ice cream. We've never had food spoil with this system.

The BC ferries require that all RV propane be shut off, even when there is no "below decks" on the vessels for vehicles. One exploded on the Kootenay Lake ferry a few years ago.

On the road near Aspen, CO--enjoying gorgeous fall colours,

Jeanne
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The Canadians are the ones who allow an rv dealer to set up their vehicles to tow way over their capacities which is more dangerous than traveling with the gas on,,,so go figure. Jim
Tut tut Jim, you should know better than to raise the spectre of tow vehicles and their "ratings" on this propane thread. I won't bite this time, suffice it to say that I'm much less happy towing with my propane on than I am towing with a TV set up by a respected professional.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Oops!

Leaving the campground the other weekend, I forgot to switch off the propane. Once the shore power was off, the fridge kicked into LPG mode and carried on working whilst I drove the 200kms home.

Despite what I've said before, nothing went wrong (as you knew it wouldn't) and we arrived safely, completely free of fires and explosions. I'm still not going to tow with the propane on, unless I forget again of course, but I will concede that the risks are not that great.

Good job I didn't need to call in at the gas station though.......

Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post

On the road near Aspen, CO--enjoying gorgeous fall colours,

Jeanne
The road to McClure Pass always has great fall "colours"óColo. 133.

I believe all ferries require propane be shut off, though some of the ferries in Yukon and NWT may not. Those are more like barges with a motor.

Gene
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Its a bit of stating the obvious, but the need for refrigeration in Canada is less than in the USA.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by StagrLee View Post
Its a bit of stating the obvious, but the need for refrigeration in Canada is less than in the USA.
Sometimes, yes.

Mind you, I do live in the semi-tropical Southwestern Ontario, which is way further south than a lot of places in the USA

Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It can get up to 90˚F in northern Canada and interior Alaska.

Gene
Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #81
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Sometimes, yes.

Mind you, I do live in the semi-tropical Southwestern Ontario, which is way further south than a lot of places in the USA
If you have land that is south of some parts of the US, give it back right now!!

Ken

I'm not surprised we didn't notice, we are not particularly good at geography.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Nice Job w7ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Why this got stirred up again is beyond me. This has been discussed in so many threads so far.

A few points.
1. It is not necessary to all do it the same way.
2. If someone posts a idea contrary to yours it is not necessary to dispute it.
3. Let the OP weigh the opinions and pick the one he chooses.

Based on analysis of the posts in this thread, I would like to suggest the following compromise:

All Canadians drive with propane off.
All Americans drive with propane on.
If anyone asks this question again, first ask them where they live and then give them the appropriate answer.

Now lets find something interesting to discuss. Even polishing aluminum sounds more exciting.

Ken
The single risk that concerns me about my propane-fired refrigerator is pulling into a gas station. There is a remote chance that a nearby customer could have a gasoline fill, and an even more remote chance that my fridge's pilot could ignite the gasoline vapors. Consequently, I turn off the fridge before I start pumping diesel even though diesel vapor is not a risk.
Kudos also to Aftermath for summarizing the correct, American analysis of this discussion.
I'm guessing the Canadians and the Brits don't carry loaded guns when they Airstream either.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
The single risk that concerns me about my propane-fired refrigerator is pulling into a gas station. There is a remote chance that a nearby customer could have a gasoline fill, and an even more remote chance that my fridge's pilot could ignite the gasoline vapors. Consequently, I turn off the fridge before I start pumping diesel even though diesel vapor is not a risk.
Kudos also to Aftermath for summarizing the correct, American analysis of this discussion.
I'm guessing the Canadians and the Brits don't carry loaded guns when they Airstream either.
Not to worry, there will soon be a branch of the government set up to approve permits for those who wish to turn off their propane tanks at some time in their journey. Canadians will require an endorsement on their visa to run with tanks off.

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #84

By the way, this is not a problem when traveling into California. They steal all your fresh food when you enter the state, so there is no need for refrigeration.

I wonder which one of those guys ate my apples and oranges?

Ken

Anything left will spoil before you reach your destination at that stupid 55 mph limit.