Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordgene
ken, why don't you put the cat in an enlarged squirrel cage to generate electricity. They hate traveling, so they will run really fast, and if they slacken off, give the cat some meth. This would be much safer.

Gene
lol!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene

I'll have to unravel that. We travel with the propane on.

Gene
What, you don't ravel? ( darn auto spell). Thought you travel with it off. My bad, brain going after a week with the kids. To much wining and fit throwing. Good to know you are a sane one on the dark side, waiting to blow up.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts
I turn off the propane when traveling. I run the refrigerator off of 115V from a gasoline powered generator in the bed of the pick up. I brace it on all 4 sides with plastic 5 gallon gas cans so it won't move around. That also gives us plenty of fuel reserve. We have a canopy over the truck bed, but we crack open the side windows to minimize the CO in the truck cab. This also has the added benefit of allowing the driver to watch the trailer's TV in the rear view mirror. You just can't be too careful. That propane is dangerous stuff.

Ken
Why don't you put a wood burning stove in the back with a tank off water to generate steam for a hydro power plant. Since the open flame is under your camper it's completely safe. I would bet your life on it

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #46
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Why don't you put a wood burning stove in the back with a tank off water to generate steam for a hydro power plant. Since the open flame is under your camper it's completely safe. I would bet your life on it
Actually, I just though of a simple way to replace the propane. Instead of a propane flame, use a small wood fire inside the outside access door. You could stop every so often and stoke it. When you figure in the wood cost, (which at campground rates is probably equivalent to about $10,000 a cord) it would probably be a little more than propane, but you would no longer be dealing with the dangerous LPG.

Ken
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #47
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Better yet, if you folks are Airstreamers, just come on down to British Columbia!!

OK, OK, so you'd have to drive through scorching heat from your local hot spot for a couple thousand miles (or K as we say in Canada) to get here. But think of the advantages. Once you're here, you don't need to risk blowing up your RV unnecessarily. Ride the ferries, and they won't let you. We have tons of cool (both figuratively and meteorologically) mountains, lakes, and ocean coastline-- even a few glaciers, with super places to camp. You'd need passports (including for said whining kids) but maybe you have them already.

But the Feline Fridge is a defo non-starter. You know the saying, "Dogs have owners. Cats have staff." But I don't think a Doggie Dometic, Canine Cooler, Cold Fusion, or Wood-fired Fat Tire would work well, either.

We re-freeze our blue gel pacs once we are camped and turn the fridge on. So far none has much melted from morning till evening with the propane off with this swap-out system. We enjoy camping with a small footprint and are always looking for ways (short of staying home) to shrink it.

Jeanne
Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Exclamation

It just occurred to me that we recently pulled an Airstream through the Yukon and British Columbia with the propane on, and the refrigerator running.

If I was in violation, I'm sorry.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #49
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
The RCMP (Refrigerating Campers Misusing Propane) are on your trail, with a fridge propane detection unit. Thanks for not blowing up!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
The RCMP (Refrigerating Campers Misusing Propane) are on your trail, with a fridge propane detection unit. Thanks for not blowing up!

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
It just occurred to me that we recently pulled an Airstream through the Yukon and British Columbia with the propane on, and the refrigerator running.

If I was in violation, I'm sorry.
Hi, yep, us too on our Alaska trip last year. I run mine on propane while driving and never turn it off. It does how-ever switch to 120 volts while connected to full hookups. We do not use cooler packs because they would take up room needed for food. Before we leave, we fill our refrigerator with cold items from our house refrigerator and same with frozen foods. I do keep a few of my wife's water bottles in the freezer, but that is so she will have cold water no matter how long we are out hiking Etc.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think when I get home I will have to find an old fridge that still lights. Doesn't have to cool though. Take it down the the pasture and run some explosive tests

Maybe even construct a wall with vents like the AS. Could try gas and diesel fumes. putting a hole in the propane line and having an open flame around it..

Man this could turn into one fun experiment. I might even have to shot it a few times just for good measure

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #53
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I think when I get home I will have to find an old fridge that still lights. Doesn't have to cool though. Take it down the the pasture and run some explosive tests

Maybe even construct a wall with vents like the AS. Could try gas and diesel fumes. putting a hole in the propane line and having an open flame around it..

Man this could turn into one fun experiment. I might even have to shot it a few times just for good measure
Trap a skunk and make it run past the operating fridge. That might blow sky high.

Ken
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #54
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
For those who didn't spend time in chemistry classes - propane weights 1.5 times air and will settle in the lowest spot. If that space is below grade like a tunnel or the water line in a boat, then it becomes very dangerous as it accumulates which is why those places require the tanks to be turned off.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm glad this thread has finally gotten to the point where we are getting practical ideas such as nuclear, wood fired, cat powered, wind powered and gas generator powered fridges.

But it is much simpler than that—our fridge is right above the wheels. I'm getting an old fashioned compressor driven fridge (just like at home) and running it with a belt from one of the wheels. For boondocking or any stopping, I can set up a flywheel that will run for days after getting it up to supersonic speeds when driving.

If a fridge stays cold with gel packs all day, then having gel packs in it means even with the propane on, the fridge shouldn't have to run very often anyway. However, with my belt driven fridge, I can have a food locker in the trailer.

Gene
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #56
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Good idea!

Or we could just change our diets to foods that are best stored at room temperature. Sometimes "room temperature" is 100F, but oh, well. Think of the stoarage space you would add to your unit and the propane you would save with the fridge perpetually turned off. You can get used to warm beer eventually. Hey folks, we expect to rough it a bit while camping.

Hmmmm.....maybe not. These are Airstreams.