Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Nick,

Thanks for the heads up. Now I am in a quandry:

From Nick's link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
I had the marshall regulator on my 2002 Safari (built in November of 2001) fail on the way to WBCCI international in June of 2002. Since it was Friday afternoon, and we were in a small town in Minnesota, I was lucky to get a replacement so that we would have heat and refrigeration for the next few days. Ours was not the only failure on the caravan. Out of 20 units, we had, as I remember it, some seven or eight failures. One member of the caravan had a failure at the rally in Michigan before the caravan left, and replaced it with a new unit. It failed on the way, and had to be replaced again. Mine was returned to Airstream who reinbursed the cost of the replacement as it was still under warrenty...
InlandRV sells the Fisher regulator that "Airstream used for years", but apparently not anymore. I may end up buying it, but $165 plus shipping is kind of high. Yes, I know not as "high as I could get blown up", but still...

Would anyone care to recommend a reliable regulator?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #22
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
How many of us still run their original regulator?

I had my tested at the propane dealer and I check it for leaks once in a while, but it's still going strong.

I asked the dealer about whether I should replace it or not and he said I could, but it's a $200 regulator. Then he asked, 'what kind of trailer is it on?' When I told him an Airstream, he said 'Oh, that's why then' ;-)
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I keep a bottle of commercial grade leak check and use it on the propane system often. The regulator does not need to be replaced on a time basis, if it's broke fix, if not leave it alone. The old Fishers are far better than what is available to day.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up I see no reason to discard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Old propane should be just as good as new propane. (It's all just a few million years old anyway.)
Lynn
I like the way this person thinks~!! You are so right Lynn, I got a few chuckles out of that..

Quote:
Janet's Husband; I keep a bottle of commercial grade leak check and use it on the propane system often. The regulator does not need to be replaced on a time basis, if it's broke fix, if not leave it alone. The old Fishers are far better than what is available to day.
Even tho I deemed it time to replace my regulator when I installed the new tanks and connecting hoses..I kept that 'ole Fisher' just in case.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote