Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Yulee , Florida
Does anyone know (see photo) what...

... this is and how it works? I'm working through my "to do" list and have now got to the propane stage.

Thanks in advance,

Norm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What'sThis.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	215257  
AFUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That's the indicator for you propane regulator. On the front of the regulator, there's a dial with an arrow pointing to one of the tanks. That shows which tank is currently the primary tank. If that red band is green, the primary tank has propane in it and is supplying propane to the trailer. If the band is red (as in your picture), the primary tank is empty, and the regulator has automatically switched over to using the other tank. This warns you that one tank is empty, and should be re-filled.

Switch the arrow to the other tank, and if it still has propane in it, the band will change back to green. Now, you can disconnect the empty tank, get it refilled, and then hook it back up to the regulator. Leave the arrow pointing at the second tank though. When the band goes red again, you can switch the arrow back to the other tank, and refill the empty one.

Both tanks need to be connected to the regulator, and both tank valves open for this to work.

Make sense?

You can also use this as a leak detector. With the band green, and no appliances using propane, close the shut off valves on both tanks. The band should stay green at least overnight. Longer is better. If the band goes red in a few minutes, you have a propane leak somewhere.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Lots to learn huh? I know. I will share my mistake with this. I learned to leave one tank valve closed at all times and turn the lever toward the open tank. That way, I know that i have at least a tank left when the LP runs out. otherwise it can drain them both- especially if there is a leak.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Your picture shows the "automatic" switch over on your propane regulator. Minno explained the functioning of it and rodster offered up an alternative to using the switch over. He was right on when he said that you will never run out of propane if you bypass the automatic part and close off the full tank. When the other tank runs dry, you get out of bed, get dressed in your warm clothes, put on your rain coat and go out and turn on the full tank.

I love these modern trailers. My fridge "automatically" switches from AC to propane when disconnected from the power source. The propane tanks switch automatically when one is empty. What a nice system. Of course you can run out of propane completely on that cold, dark and rainy night if you are not aware of the levels in your tank. If you are not into checking them all the time, use the rodster's system. This will guarantee that you won't be left without propane. Now you get to choose which system will be best for you.

Keep asking those question. Lots of good help here as you have already seen.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Lots to learn huh? I know. I will share my mistake with this. I learned to leave one tank valve closed at all times and turn the lever toward the open tank. That way, I know that i have at least a tank left when the LP runs out. otherwise it can drain them both- especially if there is a leak.
It would be easier to just fix the leak and use the regulator as it was designed to be used.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It would be easier to just fix the leak and use the regulator as it was designed to be used.

Yup, why have the feature if you're going to old school process?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
He was right on when he said that you will never run out of propane if you bypass the automatic part and close off the full tank.
I learned the hard way. I had a leak on the left side hose that emptied both tanks.

The leak is not the only concern though, you have no idea how much LP you have if you use it in auto mode- Like Aftermath said. I picked that one up from an Airstreamer at a rally.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Yulee , Florida
My thanks to you...

... all for your help and advices. On to the next item on the list!

Norm
AFUser is offline   Reply With Quote