Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Disposable Propane Cylinders

Those of you that have the outdoor cook stoves that use the 16 ounce propane cylinder ... where do you store the propane cylinders? The list of precautions on the cylinder state not to store them in the "living spaces". I also don't think I want to store them in the outside storage compartment (because the compartment is actually underneath the bed ... and that compartment too close to the hot water heater). And it seems to me that storing them in the toolbox of the pickup bed would allow them to get too hot in the Texas heat. And I don't want to carry them in the cab of the truck. So I'm a complete loss as to determining the safest way to transport these propane cylinders.

And then when you use one up you are supposed to "dispose of it properly" ... which implies to me that you're not supposed to toss it in the trash. What do you do with your used up cylinders?
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Those of you that have the outdoor cook stoves that use the 16 ounce propane cylinder ... where do you store the propane cylinders? The list of precautions on the cylinder state not to store them in the "living spaces". I also don't think I want to store them in the outside storage compartment (because the compartment is actually underneath the bed ... and that compartment too close to the hot water heater). And it seems to me that storing them in the toolbox of the pickup bed would allow them to get too hot in the Texas heat. And I don't want to carry them in the cab of the truck. So I'm a complete loss as to determining the safest way to transport these propane cylinders.

And then when you use one up you are supposed to "dispose of it properly" ... which implies to me that you're not supposed to toss it in the trash. What do you do with your used up cylinders?
I'm comfortable storing mine under the dinette. But we only carry a few just for Mr Heater When camping I carry along a small refillable propane tank to feed the grill and cook stove.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I stopped using the disposable bottles a few years ago. I have a tree that I can attach to a larger bottle (I have a 10lb ans a 20 lb). I put my lantern on the top of the tree and then run a hose to my O-Grill or other propane accessory.
Cabela's -- Three Outlet Safety Post

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Disposal? doesn't everyone have one of these?

Yellowstone and some other places have dump cages just for propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane cage.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	110170  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
I've had the valves on the disposable propane cylinders leak after using the tank so I will not store them in the trailer or inside the passenger section of my truck. As you can pick them up cheap at any K'mart I usually only travel with one or two and store them in a box in the bed of my truck which has a cap. I leave the side vents open so it will vent out if any gas leaks.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
What do you do with your used up cylinders?
what used up cylinders??
I refill them all the time. and NO it's not against the law.
if you must be a greenie-- recycle places will take them IF they are cut or punctured, a 22-250 does a nice job of "puncturing"

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I've carried them for years in a plastic tube that I store the BBQ in...I also toss one of those small single burners that screws on the top of a cyl (along with the base) as a back-up, and maybe a two mantle lantern to also screw on a cyl if we're going into the 'outback'...

Instead of discarding the empty's...I refill em' from a large tank using an adapter from Harbor Freight...

Ray
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 33' Land Yacht
Wisconsin Dells , Wisconsin
Propane storage - disposal

I store spares in lower curb-side storage which is not near anything hazaradous. I dispose of them at the campground trash area along side the recycle 'bin'.
You can only be just so cautious...I have a A/S LY which has near 60 gallons of fuel...!!
New Member, Air#45995
WBCCI
1SGT, US Army
Retired
Harleyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks all for the suggestions and replies. I'm thinking I may do what was suggested in one of the replies. Purchase them just prior to arriving at the campsite.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We store ours in our tool box on the pickup truck and recycle the used ones.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Puff the Magic Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
what used up cylinders??.. a 22-250 does a nice job of "puncturing"
Yup...and if the time of piercing they 'happen' to have some 'pane left in them AND they 'happen' to be near an open flame....

I've had old tanks leak, its obvious when ya take it off the grill, hissing and fog... but the only ISSUE I have ever seen 1st hand was a pier at our local marina caught fire and several of my boatin' buds had cylinders stowed in the dock lockers...even then, most cylinders just melted the valve out after quite a bit of cookin'...one heck of a tiki torch... but in the scheme of things, stuff had alread hit the fan.

What's a quart of propane in a compartment when ya got XX gallons of gas with a high volume/pressure pump delivering it to a hot engine compartment? (now that will make a BIG fire...ask me...)

Oh, the OP asked... I keep mine in the rear storage compartment.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I use a hose from the 40 pound cylinders on the tongue to run my grill and cookstove to eliminate the problems of transport, storage, and disposal the portable cylinders pose.

Recently manufactured portable cylinders are being shipped with a plastic widget that forces the valve open, to be inserted after the cylinder is empty. This aids in safe disposal. Apparently the cylinders are not considered hazardous if they are open to the atmosphere.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I keep one or two for our Coleman lantern, in the storage compartment in the Airstream bumper.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Another god thread that has caused me to rethink some of my current practices!

I'm sure I should know better, but I have been accustomed to keep a few bottles in various storage locations inside the trailer.

Never had the slightest problem, but still it isn't the safest.

For the guys that refill the disposable bottles - I have often wondered about trying that, I've seen the adapters at harbor Freight.

I must admit, I wasn't sure about the legality - in fact I thought I had seen wording on the bottles that it was not to be done, could be wrong.

Any special tips or hints about refilling?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Any special tips or hints about refilling?

Brian.

There used to be DOT regs to the effect that refilled containers were not legal for interstate transport, but I don't know if such regs are still out there ...

I used to refill them regularly for tent camping, and it worked just fine. One tip that seemed to make life better was to put the refillables into the freezer for an hour or two to get them good and cold, which reduced internal pressure and made for a better fill. Then I'd place them in full sun on hot asphalt for an hour or two, so that if they were to vent from overpressure / overfill, they'd do it outside (I don't think they ever did vent, but I didn't sit there the whole time to just watch) ...

But I too have abandoned that practice and have started hooking everything (propane grill, "otudoor" small propane stove, propane lantern, generator) up to larger tanks. That makes life a lot easier and it's a LOT less expensive per pound of propane (and perhaps safer) - and the larger tanks live in the bed of the truck when not in use.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Do it outdoors away from ignition sources. Mark them clearly and don't get them mixed in with retailed new cylinders. Use them for the dedicated applications where you expect them to be emptied before removing or changing the connections.

I've had a propane cylinder valve stick wide-open giving me a 70mph 5-foot long eruption of gas fog in an enclosed room next to a coal stove I had just lit. (1AM, 5°F, near snow-bound West Virginia) It was only by sheer will-power my wholly spastic backhand toss without any windup (that nearly wrenched my shoulder out of socket) levitated the cylinder 16 feet out into the night through an open shed man-hatch door. If you've ever want a definition of "blessed" its feeling the warmth of a fire and the cold from boiling propane simultaneously while seeing the propane cloud & contrail AND a crackling orange fire both within four feet of ones face and not having any harm done. So, to pay back the Karma I am impelled to repeat the story every time someone starts talking how neat itty-bitty little bottles of propane are if you...

If you must refill, save the old cylinders for outdoors activities and keep the new ones for basement projects, etc. There is something about the surge of reverse flow propane through the outlet that may rob the seals of lubrication. Just FYI.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I carry them in the trailer storage compart which is actually under our bed, or in the covered bed of the pickup.

This is my reasoning about them being inside the trailer.

There are several feet of propane tubing inside the trailer. There are valves and hand applied fittings. these all get vibrated and shook every time we travel. Any one of those, in the case of our trailer, has the ability to release up to 80 lbs of propane into the living space.

If I am going to get paranoid about the propane, I believe I will chose the main propane system to lose sleep over.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
w7ts

The propane tubing inside the trailer has vapor (not liquid) in it at less than 1 psi of pressure. The tanks themselves and their relief valves are outside.

Disposable cylinders have liquid in them at typically 100 psi of pressure, depending on temperature. They pose a greater risk.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
For the guys that refill the disposable bottles - I have often wondered about trying that, I've seen the adapters at harbor Freight.
Target sells new cylinders for a few bucks.

There are three problems with refilling disposables:
1) It requires a considerable amount of fiddling around for the money saved.
2) There is the possibility of overfilling the cylinder, which could cause the relief valve to open when the temperature increases, leading to an extremely dangerous condition.
3) The valve and seal will develop leaks over time, in part because of dirt, rust, scale, and other crap that tends to end up mixed in with the liquid propane when you invert the 20 pound cylinder you use as a source.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
w7ts

The propane tubing inside the trailer has vapor (not liquid) in it at less than 1 psi of pressure. The tanks themselves and their relief valves are outside.
-------------------------------------

as long as your regulator is functioning properly.

So are you saying that less than a quart (liquid) that exits through a leaky valve is more dangerous than 15+ gallons (liquid) that leak through a regulator?

If explosion (BLEVE) is the concern, the fact that the propane bottles are on the other side of a few aluminum sheets is irrelevant.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote