Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Sergei,

I am glad the idea helped. You did have me going a bit though when you asked the same question in two places. I went in and read the last couple of posts in your other thread today and saw the question posted there. I thought sure I had sent you an answer and was happy to find that I did when I checked for updates on this thread.

Your rig is looking great and almost ready to take on its maiden cruise. I have not had time to work on mine recently and need to get back to it as soon as I can. I have just started a new job, though, so some of the things that were taking up most of my full-time have now become spare-time activities adding to the list of projects competing for my time along with the slowly progressing Airstream remodeling project.

Malcolm

Old 08-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Malcolm had a neat idea but the more I looked at the area the less difficult a work-around seemed.

Phil agreed and came up with the idea to cut a reinforced passageway (for the coolant hoses) through one of the two outriggers we’ll replace.

Phil is going to weld an angle bracket onto both outriggers and machine bolt them onto the frame.

We don’t want to risk burning hoses or wires that we’ve installed.

Sergei

Old 08-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
I got one of these outriggers from Happycampers and one from a dealer and had the Wiltsie shop modify them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outriggers.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	43879

Phil will bolt them to the frame this week.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Done

Click image for larger version

Name:	riggerrs.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	44070
Old 09-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #75
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
The new low sulfer diesel now in use dose not smell hardly at all. I have a diesel car, truck and tractor and love them. The off road diesel I use in the tractor smokes more than the on road stuff. I think diesel will be the fule of choice in the future. My VW TDI gets 48 mpg in the mountains where I live and pulls the hills great.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
I decided to find out what the BTU difference was between propane and diesel. I was surprised by what I found.

Diesel #2 - 1.7lbs/gal - 140,000 BTU/gal
Biodiesel - 130,000 BTU/gal
Propane - 4.24lbs/gal - per liquid pound 21,591 BTU/gal in liquid form, ~92,000 BTU/gal in vapor form

Ignoring tank weight, 14 gallons of propane (two 30# tanks worth) will weigh 59.36 lbs and only have a 1,288,000 BTUs of energy. Diesel in the same quantity will only weigh 23.8 lbs and have 1,960,000 BTUs.

WOW, that is a BIG difference. The weight savings alone is worth switching, and you still come out ahead with lower consumption. If you manufacture and use your own biodiesel for the trailer (and possibly tow
vehicle when biodiesel distribution becomes widespread in the future), you can do so for only around $1.50/gal!!!

Problems I can see are:

- You will need to construct or retrofit a DOT approved diesel tank under the trailer

- I'm not finding any diesel refrigerators out there on the net. You would need to go with a 12V solution. How are you going to charge the batteries??? Any weight savings from the lighter diesel will be negated by adding a bank of batteries to run the fridge.
This is the first time I've seen this thread and admit I haven't read every post but I see what seems to be a mistake in you calulations---you say diesel weighs 1.7 lbs per gal ??? All the info I can find says it weighs 7.3 lbs per gal.---- that would make 14 gals of diesel weigh 102.2 lbs not 23.8 as you state---am I missing something here???------pieman
Old 09-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Mike, I vastly mis-stated my number on diesel when I typed that, and I had completely forgotten about it and haven't had a moderator edit this set of numbers.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
HEY SMOKELESS JOE, HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE? ANY PICTURES? I drive a 2006 F250 PSD so I am interested in all stuff diesel.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Is this 2-years old topic still active?
Diesel as a fuel might make technical sense, but it all come to calculations.
Webasto heaters are used on high-end motorhomes, that have no propane at all. They use electric cook-tops with 1000 pounds of battery banks, inverters and automatic generators.
So those Webasto heaters are loved when they work, but hated when they don't. With like 7 motors in the system, bunch of sensors, igniter, injectors they are very high maintenance unit. So even if you decide to spend big $$$ on the purchase, keeping it working with age might be impossible.
Good luck
Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
It's finished and up and running

Streamer and Kajtek1:

The diesel hydronic heating system was completed and tested many, many months ago but I didn’t start to use in until the other day, while still working on the final stages of my reno.

See posts # 383 and #386 in my main thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-28.html

There are many, many photos in the thread you are on right now, including photos of the diesel cook top in post #67. Go back.

Kajtek, your rain missed my parade.

Sergei
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
having spent my youth on fishing boats up and down the oregon coast i don't see a mention of one of the biggest draw backs in my opinion of diesel fuel... the smell. marine systems have been around forever... and so have early camp / backpacking / mountaineering stoves. they all have the same draw back over time. everything in the cabin will eventually stink of that lovely fuel, regardless of how carefull you are.

i'll stick with propane ) but hey, what do i know...
I totally agree with you. I have owned 3 Mercedes diesels and 1 Datsun diesel pickup truck. I love diesel vehicles, but I don't like diesel smell. NO WAY would I want any diesel fuel inside the closed confines of my Airstream. I can just imagine waking up late at night and not being able to go back to sleep because you smell the faint smell of diesel fuel.

Also, stovetop burners would give off a smell like a kerosene lamp. That stinks too.

If diesel fuel smell doesn't bother you, it may be an interesting and efficient heating system. In my case, I think I have become less tollerant of the smell the longer I owned diesel vehicles.

I'm also sticking with propane, "the clean fuel".
Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Hey Sergie, what ever became of the investigation of using bio-diesel?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Streamer and Kajtek1:

The diesel hydronic heating system was completed and tested many, many months ago but I didn’t start to use in until the other day, while still working on the final stages of my reno.

See posts # 383 and #386 in my main thread here:

There are many, many photos in the thread you are on right now, including photos of the diesel cook top in post #67. Go back.

Kajtek, your rain missed my parade.

Sergei
Hey Smoky, good job on the trailer! Now you need to relax from renovation stuff and get back to having fun (full-time if you are retired!)
Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe

...your rain missed my parade.

Sergei
Nice succinct answer. Keep up the good work. Following your thread, waiting for each new update. You work is superb.

2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote