Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Dickinson Newport P9000 Propane Fireplace

This fireplace is often used in boats. They can provide between 3200 and 4500 BTU, but aside from the heat they provide a nice ambience. Has anyone installed this in their AS?

WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are several threads on these forums describing members' installations of this unit or similar. Try doing a google search from outside the forums with the terms "airforums dickinson" and you should get some hits. I have one in the box waiting to go into my trailer right now. Just need to finish building out the interior, and in it will go.

good luck!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Links to Dickinson Propane Heater Threads

Links to Dickinson Propane Heater threads:
Old 06-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
See this thread...
Old 06-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
After reading about this unit I was ready to order one and called my mechanic to tell him to get ready to install it as a backup to my furnace in case I lost power on a cold night, which did happen to us. These units are beautiful and people love them in their trailers. He looked into it and there are two things to consider - 1) it requires exterior venting and LP supply which requires skills most of us do not have and 2) these are marine units designed to be used at sea level primarily (this may have changed by now). My mechanic asked me what elevation we live at in Colorado ... In the end we went with a Camco portable catalytic unit which requires no external venting just good air flow
Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
There are several threads on these forums describing members' installations of this unit or similar. Try doing a google search from outside the forums with the terms "airforums dickinson" and you should get some hits. I have one in the box waiting to go into my trailer right now. Just need to finish building out the interior, and in it will go.

good luck!
Thanks for the tip on using Google Search. I did use the forum search function but didn't locate a thread.
WBCCI #6497

Old 06-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
After reading about this unit I was ready to order one and called my mechanic to tell him to get ready to install it as a backup to my furnace in case I lost power on a cold night, which did happen to us. These units are beautiful and people love them in their trailers. He looked into it and there are two things to consider - 1) it requires exterior venting and LP supply which requires skills most of us do not have and 2) these are marine units designed to be used at sea level primarily (this may have changed by now). My mechanic asked me what elevation we live at in Colorado ... In the end we went with a Camco portable catalytic unit which requires no external venting just good air flow
I also learned from the manufacturer that the chimney can't have a 90 ° bend, so venting out the side would be difficult and I would prefer not to go up through the overhead cabinet (although with the double walled chimney it would probably be OK.
WBCCI #6497

Old 06-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I have one. Love it. When I got my 58 Flying Cloud there was a big, empty rectangle by the door where the old, residential wall heater used to be. The sheet metal ventstack was still there and the roof cap. I replaced the whole panel near the door and then ran the new vent up, then "s"d through the panel and up and out. Changed the roof cap to the Dickinson stainless steel because the vent stack is dual walled (combustion air comes down the outer, flue in center). Needed to buy an extension vent pipe to get enough length.

Doesn't have a thermostat... manual, but it does have a 12v fan to circulate air. That need not be turned on, but it's more efficient. Also, manual lighting, but easy with a match or "clicker". Once lit, the flame stays on through high-to-low settings. Mine has a glass door, not the grate shown in the photo.

Since propane was already there (but capped off) hooking up gas was easy. Hooking up 12v also easy since it the wiring for the fridge was right there.

I get LOTS of compliments on it at rallies.

- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote