Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Copper Tubing question

Looking at prices of LP hoses and they look A LOT more expensive than making your own Copper piping!
Here is the question, is the regular 1/2 copper pipe suitable for LP use? I see that the LP pipping in out 73 is 1/2 and can't see any difference between the LP piping and what it was used for the water inside.
I know that getting the copper tubing will imply getting also a flare kit and a cutter, but still will be A LOT more cost effective to to that instead of LP hoses.
Any inputs?
Thanks for your time!
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Outside copper is a soft copper. There's soft copper and rigid copper. It may be the soft copper is more expensive, but you're right that for a full length, it may be cheaper to go with copper over hoses. My copper on my 64 is original, but I'm considering upgrading it all to new since I've already disconnected it, and everything else has already been replaced anyway. I may just check to see if I have leaks, and if fine, leave it alone.

Someone else sleeved their copper in PEX. It allowed them to not worry about the occassional rock hitting the line. There is that risk with the soft copper. However, Pex is not UV stable, so it would eventually crack and break off, and possibly look worse than if left alone.

Not everyone is comfortable with flare fittings, but they've been tried and true for a very long time.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Copper water pipe comes in three thicknesses K, L, and M. It comes in two tempers, soft and hard. If using it for gas, you would want the thickest (K) soft temper type. Flare fittings are all the same for the soft copper sizes, and based on the exterior size of the pipe which are all the same for K, L, and M pipes. Hard copper temper is never used on flare fittings.

I believe that there are also special refrigeration types of copper, but I am not sure on that. Again the flare fittings are the same, and based on the exterior pipe size.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet View Post
Looking at prices of LP hoses and they look A LOT more expensive than making your own Copper piping!
Here is the question, is the regular 1/2 copper pipe suitable for LP use? I see that the LP pipping in out 73 is 1/2 and can't see any difference between the LP piping and what it was used for the water inside.
I know that getting the copper tubing will imply getting also a flare kit and a cutter, but still will be A LOT more cost effective to to that instead of LP hoses.
Any inputs?
Thanks for your time!
Type K or type L soft copper with flare connections or silver soldered connections is suitable for LP. Type K or type L hard copper can also be used, and has to be silver soldered, but isn't usually a practical choice for RVs.

Some home centers are selling "utility grade" tubing which is thinner than type L and does not meet code requirements for LP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Someone else sleeved their copper in PEX. It allowed them to not worry about the occassional rock hitting the line. There is that risk with the soft copper. However, Pex is not UV stable, so it would eventually crack and break off, and possibly look worse than if left alone.
Trailers built for the Canada market have all the propane lines sleeved because the codes there require it. I think it's wise. Black polypropylene pipe may be a better choice than PEX because of the UV.

Quote:
Not everyone is comfortable with flare fittings, but they've been tried and true for a very long time.
Though they take practice, when properly made up, they are much stronger than either soldered joints or compression fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Copper water pipe comes in three thicknesses K, L, and M. It comes in two tempers, soft and hard. If using it for gas, you would want the thickest (K) soft temper type. Flare fittings are all the same for the soft copper sizes, and based on the exterior size of the pipe which are all the same for K, L, and M pipes.
I've never seen type M soft tubing. It's typically only sold as hard copper.

Type K tubing is expensive and hard to find. It is necessary for high vacuum and certain high pressure industrial process piping applications (over 1000 PSI). Type L is typically used for gas, these days. In olden times copper was cheaper and type K was more widely used.

Quote:
I believe that there are also special refrigeration types of copper, but I am not sure on that. Again the flare fittings are the same, and based on the exterior pipe size.
Refrigeration tubing is cleaned and filled with nitrogen, and both ends are capped. Otherwise it's the same product. However, the sizing convention is different, because refrigeration tubing is sold by outside diameter, while copper water pipe is sold by nominal inside diameter, which is typically 1/8" less. So 5/8" refrigeration tubing is the same size as 1/2" water tubing.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I use custom LP hoses that a local pipe & tube shop makes up with braided stainless hose and flared gas ends. I make them all the exact size I need and reduces most of the fittings which I find is the $$$ part of LP system. I find this system easy to instal, less fittings (reduce the chance of leaks), easy to repair problems, and in the long run way less expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vinstream stainless braided hose.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	203241  
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
I use custom LP hoses that a local pipe & tube shop makes up with braided stainless hose and flared gas ends.
Be sure you're getting hose that's designed for and listed for use with propane.

Propane causes rubber and many plastics to deteriorate, just like oil and gasoline do. As a result, even the best general-purpose flexible hoses will fail over a short period of years when used with propane. Propane hose is usually constructed with a nylon barrier layer so that the propane doesn't reach the rubber components, although there are other approaches.

Propane hose is required to be clearly marked as such, along with a manufacturing date, every couple feet along the outside. I would guess that your stainless steel hoses are not propane hoses because in your photo they do not appear to have any markings.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
FYI... The yellow banding in the Stainless braiding is the marking that is required for propane...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We sheathed our copper propane lines in PEX under the trailer. No UV down there unless we're airborne (God Forbid!).

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
thanks everyone for the input!
I was totally unaware of the tubing types, but still looks like a better choice as a neat finish and cost beneficial as less than $2 per foot I will say that including tools it should be a $200 job to totally upgrade the LP system in a 31ft?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet View Post
thanks everyone for the input!
I was totally unaware of the tubing types, but still looks like a better choice as a neat finish and cost beneficial as less than $2 per foot I will say that including tools it should be a $200 job to totally upgrade the LP system in a 31ft?
I did my 27' last summer, $150 for materials PLUS a big pile of fittings that I already had or salvaged from the old stuff. I already had the tools.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1276304
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote