Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Composting toilets: Natures Head or Airhead?

I am just about to pull the trigger on the order for a composting toilet. The Wynn's are huge fans of the Nature's Head model, I have made good experiences with the Airhead, albeit in a marine environment.

I suspect that they are both just fine, but before I order I'd be interested to hear any other opinions and experiences.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I currently have a Sun-Mar composting toilet in my shop and used a Envirolet in a remote cabin. Based on my experiences, I wouldn't waste my time and money on an RV installation. I do have a CG approved head on my houseboat that the burns the waste and vaporizes the liquids. One of the RV sites just did a review and gave it high marks. It's called Incinolet and the review is on the second page of www.doityourselfrv.com.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Both the Nature's Head and the Airhead composting toilets work with waste separation, very differently from a one tank system.

This is what makes them so successful in both marine and RV applications. Reviews for both models are universally positive. I ordered the Nature's Head, a bit more expensive but the installation kit seemed more complete.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Airhead is the original and best--they actually invented this style toilet (which Nature's replicated). It's made from better plastic, has the option for a full size toilet seat and has different tank shapes to suit your needs.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
They also open differently when it comes time to empty.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
We have Natures Head and we are very happy with it! No odor. More importantly, no black tank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
Airhead is the original and best--they actually invented this style toilet (which Nature's replicated). It's made from better plastic, has the option for a full size toilet seat and has different tank shapes to suit your needs.
I very nearly bought the Airhead - but their website was not clear about some of the items needed for installation and nobody got back to me for clarification.

Nature's Head, on the other hand, had excellent customer service and answered all questions within 30 minutes. I even got a phone call back to make sure everything was ok.

I have talked to a number of people who have either model installed, and everybody had nothing but good things to say about both manufacturers. Jason and Nikki Wynn are huge Nature's Head fan, they install them in every single one of their RVs.

But in the end, my decision to go with Nature's Head came down to nothing more than better customer service.

I purchased the solar powered exhaust fan, so there won't even be a need to lay new wiring to the fan.

Really excited to finally ditch the black tank and to have extra grey space. We should be able to go for five to seven days, assuming my calculations are correct, without having to dump grey water in future.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
No love for the C-Head? C-Head portable composting toilet system

I have a Nature's Head, and just now remembered that I have to empty out the pee bottle. Usually I try to up-end the thing over a sewer inlet at the campground just before leaving, but the ones there were raised and tilted. That's my favorite (least smelly) way to dump the bottle. Avoid small, marginally vented bathrooms whenever possible, and work on your breath-holding!

I was getting a foul buildup inside the bottle, so soaked it overnight with bleach and all was glorious.

A usage note for the gentlemen (ladies look no further!): I've found that by leaning the top of my head against the wall behind the Nature's Head, I can safely pee standing up. The angle is similar to sitting down. There's even a hanging towel back there to increase my cranial comfort.

The black tank on my was converted to a gray tank, and set to dribble whenever we're underway.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post

The black tank on my was converted to a gray tank, and set to dribble whenever we're underway.
How was this done...
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I use 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
In the liquid tank to disinfect, works great, bleach will break down the plastic with repeated use.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
santa maria , California
Hi. good decision. i did a lot of research and when we do finally switch, it will be airhead. it takes less room, the design makes it easier to fit the smaller space, when its time to dispose of either composted or urine also easier, and if i remember correctly, components are higher quality. i find that most of those who are not fans have not gotten pass the initial 'ugh' factor. good luck. you tube all videos and enjoy.
deljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Has anyone actually installed one of these in a small 16' Bambi sport? Is one brand slightly smaller than another so that it would fit better? If you have installed it, any problems or insights on how it should be done?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Here are the dimensions for both the Airhead and the Nature's Head toilets. They are, virtually, the same. Both should work, even in the smaller trailers.

The black tank conversion is simple - add another valve to the dump tube, then open both original valves.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
How was this done...
Carefully loosen the big sewer plug until drip, drip, drip! I washed it out first, so there's nothing terrible dripping out of there.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
Carefully loosen the big sewer plug until drip, drip, drip! I washed it out first, so there's nothing terrible dripping out of there.
I was referring to combining the tanks.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I see the airhead uses a paper liner. I don't think the NH requires this.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Everything anybody would ever want to know can be found at the link

Composting Toilet
Old 11-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Whoops! Sorry about that. My Airstream came with only one tank.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
If you look at the composting toilet link posted by andreasduess you will find a video by the Wynns called
Crazy Easy Way To Combine RV Black and Grey Tank

It is so easy that you will want to say, "Now why didn't I think of that!?" It took me a couple of minutes to think about how this would work with AS tanks, rather than their Class A tank set-up, but I don't see why it won't work about the same way. Any thoughts? Does anyone already do this?
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote