Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
CO scare (long, important post)!!

We just returned from our first major trip in our '83 310 motorhome. Since acquiring Ernestine, we had used the furnace a few times with no trouble. This trip was to Grand Marais in MN and it got quite damp and cool one weekend. My husband was hiking for a few days and daughter and her baby came to keep me company.

Saturday morning was chilly so we turned on the furnace briefly. The sun came out and soon warmed things up, so we opened up for fresh air. My daughter said she smelled garbage in the bedroom (not likely...I am pathologically tidy). My old nose detected nothing then, but I did turn off the main propane valve, and got a 9volt so I could set up the CO detector I got a while back but didn't use much. Same routine on Sunday morning, except daughter didn't mention any odor. At noon the kids went back to the Cities. Did a sniff around and thought I got a whiff of the smell, wonderered if it could be the holding tanks. I was feeling chilly about 7pm and turned on the furnace and was checking my email in the LR.

At 7:30 the detector went crazy in the bedroom. I got the dog out, opened windows, turned off the main propane, etc. I also grabbed the detector and found it still alerted at the bedroom door after 15 minutes. I opened those windows too and all was clear in half an hour.

I walked to Superior RV (small family owned summer business and wonderful folks!!!) the next morning. They tested the propane lines and, sure enough, the Suburban furnace had a leak. It was 23 years old and in need of replacement. They got it in less than 2 days and at a very good price for us.

I still shudder to think of all that could have come of this (read, d-e-a-d). I never did detect a strong smell (though I think I did vaguely catch the "garbage" smell once. That didn't scare me as I always thought the alerting additive to gas had a stronger sulfur smell.

If you haven't already, please, get a CO detector and use it. I am glad I finally did and will never be without it again!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Older Furnace Recall thread

I saw this thread last week and checked my unit, a 72 Overlander. I did notice my furnace was much newer and probably had been replaced by the PO. It might be of interest to you as well - even though the years are different. We keep our CO detector well fed and tested.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...call-2889.html
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
A major point to remember is that the odor you smell with propane is an additive, put in so you will be able to smell the gas if there is a leak.

CO is what is produced from the burning of the gas and is ODORLESS and COLORLESS!!! This is what the detectors are set up to detect, since a human cannot. This is why you DO NOT use your cooktop for heating, and why your trailer/motorhome MUST be properly vented when you use propane appliances.

Thank goodness you prevented a tragedy! A standard staple of traveling in an RV MUST be a CO detector. Good job on getting the place cleared and getting it inspected right away.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Detectors are important and can save your life.

I am a little confused by your post. Did you have a propane leak or a CO leak? Propane will have a rotten egg smell to it while CO has no smell which makes it a killer. Propane is heavy and will pool on the floor of the trailer and CO is almost the same weight as air and will be at all levels in the trailer. There aree 3 basic detectors; smoke, CO and propane. Each will only detect what they were designed to detect. If your CO detector went off, a propane leak was not the cause. However if you replaced the furnace it was most likely from a CO leak and the problem is solved.

The good news is the problem is solved. Everyone needs to be aware of the things that can harm them and make sure that their detectors are working properly.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Tragically, a woman was killed and her two sons seriously injured when their cabin exploded yesterday. It was a propane leak, sparked by a light switch.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
about the recall I would like to know where can I find the serial number as it's not said in the older thread
Any advice?
I think that will help a lot of guys around.
Always good to make everybody aware of such issues.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
It was propane...

AZ,

Thanks for the info. It was indeed a propane leak. As I mentioned, it really didn't so much smell of rotten eggs. Rather, it was a weak smell of garbage. Like what you might catch a whiff of when the sanitation engineers drive by. Glad Iam no longer a smoker!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
about the recall I would like to know where can I find the serial number as it's not said in the older thread
Any advice?
I think that will help a lot of guys around.
Always good to make everybody aware of such issues.
It is the furnaces witht he rubber inlet and outlet tubes. The tubes crack, and leak exhaust into the coach. Your 72 probably has one, your 75 probably does not. IIRC, it is the Suburban NT10 model that was primarialy involved in the recall, but there may have been others.
Check for the rubber tubes, if it has them, either replace the tubes or the furnace.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
I'll check the 75 as I am in it now... Though so far we never had a problem as I think I am still alive but it's not because it was so far that it will last.
For the 72 I will have to way to be back home.
thank you

my blog

Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
A couple in the Okanagan in BC, early fifties, got gassed in their cabin by a propane fridge not properly vented a couple of weekends ago. Their grandkids had been sleeping in the same cottage and the rest of the family were out sleeping in their camper. When the kids came out complaining of flu like symptoms the ended up curling up in the camper with their parents. No one thought about leaking propane. Sad ending. It happens way too often given there are inexpensive detectors available almost everywhere.

A good post/reminder Auretrvr, thanks for giving this serious issue visibility once again.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want permanently installed units, almost any RV dealer or Camping World will happily install them for you (for a fee, of course). I put in an LP, and a CO detector in our friend's SOB. It was a very easy install. basically mount the detector and provide power and ground. The LP detector goes near the floor, and I put the CO detector at what would be head level while in bed. Cost of both was under $100, and installation would probably be about $100 also, depending on where you go.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We are all so thankful that you avoided tragedy, Auretrvr! Also thank goodness for the good people of Grand Marais who helped you. Now, how did you enjoy your stay in GM? We almost decided to head up the trail today for our 2 week road trip, but the only site available was looking on the dusty ball field and I just couldln't equate that with former camping times when we enjoyed our Lake Superior front yard. Any highlights of your trip, once the scare was contained? Always a lover of the North Shore, ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
From what i see it doesn't look like ruber pipe. Though I noticed a ruber "gasket" between the pipe and the outside plate...

my blog

Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet CO Detectors

When the Univolt in my 67 went out, it boiled the battery, filling the trailer with gas. The CO detector woke me. Still another reason to never be without one! I just can’t stress it enough.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Boy that's why I'm still in no hurry to install gas in my coach. If it's too cold for my down comforter then I'll find a plug in for the electic heat.

Glad all worked out and everyone is o.k.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote