So i tried the furnace in my old 1957
for the first time a few weeks ago. It seemed to work well, though i noticed the pilot light flame seemed kind of big. I only used it for about 5 days for an hour or so in the evening and then I would turn it off. One the 6th day I accidently forgot and left the pilot on all night, and then all day while I was at work. When I got home i opened the door to strong smell of burning paint. The front of the furnace grates was burned and covered with soot. A very thin layer of black soot covered all the walls and surfaces. What a disaster! After doing some research everything seems to point to not enough air circulation. I took the chimney cap off and the whole chimney is filled with black soot!
I am not an expert in any of this. How do i clean the chimney pipe? Its 3" diameter. Its hard to find brushes the right size. How do I clean the soot out off the walls without destroying the paint??? Will i have to repaint??