Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
cleaning soot

So i tried the furnace in my old 1957 for the first time a few weeks ago. It seemed to work well, though i noticed the pilot light flame seemed kind of big. I only used it for about 5 days for an hour or so in the evening and then I would turn it off. One the 6th day I accidently forgot and left the pilot on all night, and then all day while I was at work. When I got home i opened the door to strong smell of burning paint. The front of the furnace grates was burned and covered with soot. A very thin layer of black soot covered all the walls and surfaces. What a disaster! After doing some research everything seems to point to not enough air circulation. I took the chimney cap off and the whole chimney is filled with black soot!

I am not an expert in any of this. How do i clean the chimney pipe? Its 3" diameter. Its hard to find brushes the right size. How do I clean the soot out off the walls without destroying the paint??? Will i have to repaint??

whispersiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Biggest problem is the furnace shouldn't be used until you check out its air supply, you are very lucky not to have been overcome with carbon monoxide.
In an out of the way place try Greased Lightning, but don't leave it on painted surfaces long it will remove most paint.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1965 30' Sovereign
Ottumwa , Iowa
for the vent if its 3 in this is not the best but go to walmart and buy a dryer vent brush there 3 in. if you have a dollar general close to you they have a cleaning product called awesome its cheap and it has cleaned everything i have thrown at it. and i work for an asphalt paving company as there mechaniac so i have tested it very well i like the stuff
cjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Please just replace the furnace. Too dangerous to do anything else in my opinion.

As for the soot, you might call your insurance agent and find out who they use for fire restoration projects, then contact them for advice. They may be willing to tell you how to go about it by yourself.

Awesome, mentioned in another post, is a great product but I have damaged things with it, so test each different surface first prior to a wholesale application.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Simple Green will take the spot off. Spray it on full strength and use a micro fiber cloth and clean water to wipe it clean. Work in small areas.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fire Restoration Service

By all means get your chemicals from one of these companies. You'll never get the smell out of soft goods like cloths, drapes, cushions, etc. without the right stuff and if you try with the wrong stuff you could cause both the soot and the smell to become permanent.

And as for the furnace, have a pro go over it or replace it. That is one appliance that WILL kill you and your family if it's in bad repair.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote