Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thank you for the information. I have not read the regulation. I will print it and pass it on to my local guy.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thank you for the information. I have not read the regulation. I will print it and pass it on to my local guy.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
My opinion based on> (see the USDOT rules in the link above)

Whoever stamped those numbers into the cylinder actually created damage (dents in the wall of the tank) The numbers should have been stamped in the collar.

I noticed the same, but that’s my opinion. The PDF showed references IIRC.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpoletim View Post
I discovered last year that my aluminum tanks from 2005 can not be recertified in Canada since they do not bear a Canada DOT code...
Me too. I had them certified and filled in Michigan and paid only for the propane. Next time we need a refill I'll take it to a local place just out of curiosity to see if they'll fill it here in Canada based on the US recertification.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Our are due.

There's a place just up the road from where I work that does it.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
hmm, i wonder if there is a uniform stipulation as to where the certification date should be stamped.

I don't know about aluminum tanks, but I've seen other steel gas cylinders that have been recertified many times - the oldest from the early 1920s - and they were stamped into to the top of the tank near the valve.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Kamloops , British Columbia
Recertifying US DOT Propane Tanks in Canada

This is an update to my post of a few weeks ago. I called a friend who lives near the BC-US border who spoke to his local propane supplier who told him that Transport Canada recently changed their regulations so that non Canadian certified propane tanks that meet US DOT standards can now be recertified and refilled in Canada. To verify this was correct I called a Transport Canada inspector of dangerous goods who confirmed that this was correct. So I then called my local propane supplier who had a few months ago declined to recertify my US DOT tank (he had done the other tank last year - presumably without thinking or checking) and told him what I had been told. even then I had to wait two weeks while he got written confirmation from Transport Canada. When I went in to collect my recertified and refilled tank he was gushing with enthusiasm for the quality and durability of the Worthington made aluminium tank with pressure gauge, rather ironic in view of the previous rejection and willingness to condemn to the scrap yard!

The tank now bears the recertification date and identifier of the recertifying dealer and is good for another 10 years.

To quote from the TC regulations:
CSA*B340 specifies the selection and use requirements for cylinder and tube specifications that are authorised for use in Canada by Subsection 5.10(2) of the TDG Regulations. This includes cylinders and tubes that have been in use in Canada for many years and that belong to one of the following groups of specifications:
* Cylinders and tubes that have been manufactured in accordance with CSA*B339. These cylinders and tubes are commonly referred to as “TC specification” cylinders and tubes because the prefix marked before the specification designation is “TC”.
* Cylinders and tubes that have been manufactured in accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Hazardous Materials Regulations entitled Title*49 of the Code of Federal Regulations of the United States (49*CFR). These cylinders and tubes are commonly referred to as “DOT specification” cylinders and tubes because the prefix marked before the specification designation is “DOT”.

Ref: Transport Canada
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/moc-cyli...-473.html#what
tadpoletim is offline   Reply With Quote