Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Changing to aluminum tanks-height issue?

A little background: We have a 70 Overlander that had the original steel tanks with the original valves. We used up the propane this season and I managed to find an Aluminum 30# tank dirt cheap with the OPD valve off an Airstream. I knew, and had planned, on eventually changing to the new valves, new hoses and new regulator but thought I could buy a litel more time-oh well. So I pulled the old tanks off and noticed the height of the old steel tanks was about 2-3" shorter than the aluminum tank. So I thought I would simply remove the vertical rod that held everything together. When I looked at it was totally covered in paint so the way it was connected or secured became a mystery. I thought it was a rivet because I could poke a toothpick through the center, then I tried drilling it out and nothing, tried titanium, tried cobalt and nothing-couldn't drill it out-tried a removal tool and nothing so far. Does anyone know how these things were originally attached? I was either hoping there would be a third hole to adjust it up a notch to fit the height for 40 pounders, then I thought, if I couldn't salvage the rod, I'll just replace it with a stainless threaded rod cut to the lenth I need so I can still use the top screw on brackets. Any other ideas or helpful solutions for how to take this off? Should I just leave it and get a threaded coupler and just extend it a few inches?
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Did you get it yet?
The holes in the rod that hold my tanks on had roll pins in them and I took a hammer and drift and knocked them out. The holes are smooth inside - no threads.
Could you put a spacer between the top wing nut dammit and the gizmo that holds the tank tops and regulator? That might secure shorter tanks.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Forget what I just wrote (post#2) and read this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ted-20523.html

It'll give you some propane safety religion.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
propane religion

Thanks for the link-interesting idea of adding some hardware to secure the tanks. I never was able to get that rod off-I tried an impact driver with a cobalt bit-no leverage and bad position didn't allow a way to drill the pin out. Tried hammering it out but again, no room to really get a good smack on it. So, I'm bascially making an extension with a coupler using a 1/2"-13 threaded hex coupler ground down to a circle that can fit inside my tank holder. Then I simply bought a hex head bolt to extend the length and used a few spare plumbing parts with rubber washers to tighten it all up. I'd like to add the safety hardware just in case. Now to polish the tanks, finish hooking up the regulator and getting the tanks filled-then we'll be in regulation and in business again.
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote