Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Champion 3400 -- Propane Port

I have a 2017 FC 30 Bunk. with a propane port. I bought a 3400 Champion dual fuel Inverter/Generator. I read that many people are running their generators off the propane port. Several said the run 2 hondas. Our port will not provide enough gas to run the generator. What can I do? Modifications? I can connect directly to the tank with no problem. Really wanted the simplicity of a quick connection to the port. HELP!!

Old 05-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Since the Gen runs ok directly from a tank, problem could be the two pressure regulators being in line. From the LP tank pressure can be "stepped down". The AS regulator will provide proper pressure and volume to the AS components. If another regulator is further down stream, it will be limited by the AS regulator upstream.

To resolve, can you remove or bypass the Gen regulator and directly connect from the AS? To me that is simplest fix.

If you can't do the above, you will need a port between the AS tanks and the AS regulator... that will take creative plumbing.

Hope someone has better solution.. good luck!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks -- Figured it out

Thanks -- I figured it out. needed to use secondary regulator. Works like a champ now!!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

San Tan Valley , Arizona
Champion dual fuel generator will not work with external propane port

I see others on this thread have been successful running propane generators using the external low pressure port of their AS. I have a 2017 International Serenity 19ft. I connected my Champion Dual Fuel 3500/3100 watt generator to the outside propane port using the 6 ft propane hose that came with the AS that I added a 3/8 quick connect male fitting to attach to the generator. This hose does not have a regulator and relies on the internal AS regulator. I could not get enough propane pressure necessary to run my generator. I called Airstream Customer Service and they told me the AS internal regulator has pressure of an 11 in column of water (the measurement the regulator gave to AS. The AS Customer Service person said the external propane port is only meant to use with a small propane stove/grill and does not have enough pressure to run a generator. I also tested the generator by removing one of the 30 gal propane tanks from the AS and using the 6 ft hose and regulator that came with the generator. That worked fine. Does anyone know what I can do to get the external propane port to work with my generator?