Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts

Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
I am still using the A/C
I'm jealous! I ran my heater for 6 hours yesterday while working on some cabinets. Probably won't get much done during the snowstorm.

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
I do use one

GetOutDoors --

I wasn't saying not to use one. Check my previous post for my installation -- which we use often.

I don't want to make a recommendation on a cat heater without some caution.

BTW, they do emit some CO. See

Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
None of those detectors will warn you of low oxygen levels, which is the risk you take if you do not vent correctly when using a cat. I have unsuccessfully searched for an oxygen monitor for RV's. Wish there was one available.

Cats do not emit CO nor do they emit smoke. They are clean burning, quiet, and way more efficient then forced air systems.

The heat they provide is more of a radiant heat which feels much more like wood heat compared to the forced air furnace.

Being a propane device, as with using all other propane devices in your Airstream, you should always have a working propane detector installed (in fact, I think propane alarms are required by law for all propane enabled RVs).

If you check out the link to my install in the '66 you can see the propane detector next to the floor just under the cat install (propane is heavier than oxygen, so if there is a propane leak it will first be detected next to the floor).

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote