Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The PO had a small propane heater in the living room area of my trailer. This did not seem like a bright idea to me. One of the first things to go was the plumbing for that. My oven vents through the door at the top. The PO had tape over these.

Perry

Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I think Idroba is right; other than the thermocouple, what's left? Change it, it's a consumable part of LP gas devices.
I assume most camper stores carry these? Are they easy enough to replace. I'm not completely sure what a thermocouple is...the thing that the pilot light comes from? I clearly need to google this. It would be awesome if there was some step by step directions with pictures somewhere on the web!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A thermocouple is a metal finger, about 2" long which has a tube on one end. That tube connects to the oven control. The tube looks like a pipe or wire the diameter of a pencil lead. The finger is positioned so it is in the pilot flame (in the case of the oven, the larger, second flame). It generates a tiny amount of electricity which operates the gas valve in the control. No heat, no electricity, and thus no gas can flow to the main burner. So, if the second pilot light goes out, the burner will not light. If the thermocouple is defective, the burner will not light. If the thermocouple is not in the flame properly, to get hot enough, the burner will not light. The connection on the valve end looks like a small pipe connection, and is removed with a wrench. Don't overtighten the new one, just snug.

They are a very common item, RV stores have them, most decent sized hardware stores have them, most of them are interchangeable. They do come in different lengths, but even a too long one can be carefully coiled up. They are generally under $10.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Great description, Idroba.

I will only add that they mount very easily. A small wrench lets you remove the gas connection and snug up the new one, and the "finger" is usually it is held in by a strap which is fastened by a screw. Don't kink the thin gas connection, and once the tube is fastened in, bend it gently so that the finger is bathed by the pilot flame.

Simple. Really!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
bend it gently so that the finger is bathed by the pilot flame
Look at my picture...when I first went to use it was bent downward...for some reason that looked wrong to me so I bent it up... See the slight kink in the side? Does anyone have a picture of a similar oven (Magic Chef) with the thermocouple that I can compare? Might that be the problem?

Also there is a red button on the front of oven to the right of all the gas knobs, like it might be an igniter because it clicks when I depress it...it does nothing? And my light bulb in the oven doesn't turn on (not sure how to-no info in the manual) but the bulb looks good...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
We've been asking you to change the thermocouple for about two weeks now. Why not just try that?

If it doesn't work, we will work on the other items one at a time, OK?