Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Can You Tell Me What I've Got?

So, my experience with LPG goes no farther than my BBQ. REcently took delivery of a '69 OVerlander. The regulator/tank switch looks like this:

My tank valves look like this:

My reading indicates I need a newer style of valve, but I don't know if these tanks have the newer valve style. Also don't know whether this regulator is still reliable. What I can tell you is that the tanks are holding propane and not leaking. I'd like to hook these up so I can start testing the equipment in the trailer, but not if they are unsafe, or need to be modified before using.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You'll need new tanks, and probably a new auto changeover regulator. While you can get new valves, by the time you buy the valves, pay to have them switched, then pay to have the tanks tested, you could just go out and buy new ones.
That old regulator may last for a while, maybe, but I would always be waiting for it to fail. Usually at the most inopportune moment. Like when you're in the middle of nowhere and it's 30 degrees.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Terry,

The last aluminum tank I had recertified and new valves was less than $50, new 30 lb tank is over $150.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You'll need new tanks, and probably a new auto changeover regulator. While you can get new valves, by the time you buy the valves, pay to have them switched, then pay to have the tanks tested, you could just go out and buy new ones.
That old regulator may last for a while, maybe, but I would always be waiting for it to fail. Usually at the most inopportune moment. Like when you're in the middle of nowhere and it's 30 degrees.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
I have the same regulator on my '66, though the copper lines have been replaced with flexible lines. Has been working fine for me for the past 2 years.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
I have no idea what new valves/certification costs, but the new tanks are darn pricey. Especially if you want aluminum. The original product lit from 1969 says these trailers came with dual 5-gal bottles, but I have no idea what a 5-gal gas bottle looks like, and these tanks are stamped with a date of 3-77, so I doubt they are original. I need to figure out the size if I want to even consider ordering new valves and installing myself. How do I tell? The information stamped on the tanks is mysterious at best.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Jamespio,

Five gallon bottles are the bbq size which are available at the propane exchange stations. It looks like you have 7 gallon bottles. They are available here: 30 Lb. (7.1 Gallon) Vertical Aluminum LP Tank at $183. I would just take the existing tanks to a propane dealer, not a supplier such as the local gas station, and have new valves and certification performed. Such as Mutual Propane or someone similar, must be several in the Boise area.

As I said earlier, less than $50 the last time I had one recertified.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
I have no idea what new valves/certification costs, but the new tanks are darn pricey. Especially if you want aluminum. The original product lit from 1969 says these trailers came with dual 5-gal bottles, but I have no idea what a 5-gal gas bottle looks like, and these tanks are stamped with a date of 3-77, so I doubt they are original. I need to figure out the size if I want to even consider ordering new valves and installing myself. How do I tell? The information stamped on the tanks is mysterious at best.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Unless those cyllinders are damaged, you don't need new ones.

1. Your cylinders probably need recertification. Most propane dealers (not just propane fillers) can do this for you for little or no charge. A visual recertification is good for five years in the US, after which you can have them recertified again. The propane outfit with put a new date (with an "E" for visual) on the recertified cylinder.

2. Your cylinders must have the valves switched out with the newer "OPD" valves. OPD valves have an internal float whereas the older valves do not. You can tell OPD valves by the triangular shape of the valve handle; your older valves have more of a star shape. Please be sure to work with your dealer on this carefully because aluminum cylinders are taller than the corresponding steel tanks and therefore require a slightly longer OPD valve.

3. While replacing things, I'd get rid of the old copper leads from cylinder to regulator. The newer ones are rubber (or somesuch) and have a connector that does not require a wrench.

4. You might want to get the system pressure-tested to make sure that you have no other leaks in the system. Alternatively, you can pressurize the system, then crawl around all over under the rig and at all appliances within the rig with some nice, soapy water. Leaks will be readily visible in the bubbles.

5. Finally, it's not clear that your regulator is bad. With fixed-up tanks and leads, try it out. If the regulator passes gas and does not leak (i.e., you do not smell propane), you're probably ok.

If all of this seems overwhelming, don't fret. It's still a bunch cheaper than buying new aluminum cylinders. And ... if you do decide to go with new cylinders, let people know here! I'd bet money that somebody here will take your old aluminum ones off your hands for you!!!

Lynn
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Sounds like a plan, Lynn. There's a Suburban Propane place nearby, where I used to get the tank filled on my old VW Camper (never even saw that tank, it was under the rig, and I just let those guys refill it). I'll take the tanks there.

Thanks, all.