Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Can you hook up a disposable propane cylinder?

I know, that sounds like a stupid question and an even stupider (is that a word?) idea.

Here's the deal. Heading out tonight and both tanks are empty. Don't know a convenient place on the way (new to this) and don't have the time to go exploring, at night, with the trailer in tow. I have a standard "exchange" tank for a radiant heater and a hose that lets me use that tank with the BBQ designed for the disposable cylinders. If the "plumbing" is such that a disposable cyclinder would screw into the regulator then I could attach the "exchange" tank using the hose to the trailer. The hoses from the regulator are too short to let me connect the small tank directly but for future "emergencies" it would really be nice to have a way to pull this off. Could have used it last weekend when we ran out.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
you could probaly build an extension hose. The tecnical is not that hard, but it could run you $100. in parts. If you go to any propane sales company, suburban, empire, cenex, and talk to their mech guys, they could set you up.

This is because I have never seen an extension hose. I have seen dozens of adapter hoses but nothing with the male/female of the same type on the same hose. But now that you mention it, a 5 foot extension would fix just about any situation. Gotta get one now! it would be handy.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Extend-a-stay

Bernie,

What you need is the Marshall Extend-A-Stay kit for your LP tanks. It includes all of the hoses and hardware to connect the exchange cylinder right into your regulator. MSRP is around $50 for the standard kit and $85 for the deluxe, which includes a 12' high pressure hose rather than the standard 5'. It also allow you to connect a gas grill right from your LP tanks. Nice option!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Bernie,

What you need is the Marshall Extend-A-Stay kit for your LP tanks. It also allow you to connect a gas grill right from your LP tanks. Nice option!!
Now we're cookin' with gas Gotta get it, although I already have a hose to go from the big tank to the BBQ it would be nice it it didn't involve disconnecting one of the tanks from the regulator. The regulator is one and the hoses from it to the tanks are a bit scary so the whole thing is on the replacement list.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Where would a person go to get one of these gadgets? It sounds like something that would be very handy.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
Where would a person go to get one of these gadgets? It sounds like something that would be very handy.
regards
Any well stocked RV supply store should have them...like Camping World. I usually have one around also. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll get it for you.....of course at the 'Forum Courtesy Discount"!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote