Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Can I change my own LP gas regulator?

Or should I have it done by an RV tech?

Guy at the parts store (I know, not the best source for quality information) says that you just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one.

Nothing on an AS is ever that easy, or is it?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Short answer: Yes. It's a pretty easy job. Get some pipe tape.

Lynn
Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It's not difficult if you've done much plumbing.

You do need to use either a good quality paste thread compound like Rectorseal #5 or a tape dope that is rated specifically for propane. The propane gas causes the plastic to deteriorate in the plain white tape dope that is sold for water piping.

Check for leaks with bubble solution when you're done. The stuff in the toy aisle is cheaper than the stuff in the plumbing dept. and works the same.

In general you should probably replace the pigtails at the same time since the rubber hoses deteriorate. If there is a rubber hose from the regulator to the trailer piping you might want to replace that too.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Go for it, if I can do it,its got to be easy. Definitely replace the pigtails, and like jammer said from the regulator to trailer. The latter can be a little harder to find, Mr. Heater has a big selection of hoses, so look there to find the length which is appropriate.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Tried to include a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	283.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	135449  
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that you could handle the job quite easily. SuEllyn recently replaced both the flex lines from the tanks to the regulator without any problems. She used a thread sealant from a tube made to seal gas lines.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, thanks for the votes, you all agree! It's anonymous! Erm, no, unanimous, that is.

Off I go to get one.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Wow, thanks for the votes, you all agree! It's anonymous! Erm, no, unanimous, that is.

Off I go to get one.
"And I am unanimous in that !" to quote Mrs Slocombe if you ever
watched "Are You Being Served?"!

Brian.

PS as others have said, not hard to do at all, just be sure and leak test. I recently had to replace the main propane line under the tongue of our trailer, I found it was squished almost completely flat. It was still working, and probably was like that when we bought the trailer - I only noticed it when I was installing a Hensley hitch. Looked like someone put a jack under it.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
If you are replacing the hoses, you might go for some extra long ones. Picture an overturned 5 gallon bucket with a bathroom scale on top right by the trailer tongue. Get hoses long enough so the tank can be weighed without disconnecting them.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
This is how I did it.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ego-40056.html

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664
Member of the Four Corners Unit

The only true failure is the failure to try.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It's simple. I've changed them on both trailers. The most recent one came from PPL, see LP Gas Automatic Changeover Valves on Sale - PPL Motor Homes.

They also list a remote changeover indicator just below the regulator. I installed one of them at the same time and it works great. Here's a link to details at Tweety's (Marshall Brass Remote Changeover Indicator). PPL doesn't have a link to that product. I've never dealt with Tweety's, but have heard good things here on the forums. I have had great experiences with PPL. Installation is simple, you simply remove the cap on the top of the changeover regulator, the one that clearly says "Do Not Remove", and snap on the sender portion. Route the wires inside and mount the box with the LED and you're done. When the units switches to the backup tank and the visual indicator on top of the regulator changes from green to red, the LED on the box inside starts to flash.

My bottles don't have senders for the level indicators in the control panel, so those do me no good at all. Plus, I would have to go check them. This system works automatically.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hey, thanks again you guys!

I like the idea of the indicator for the tank switchover, Vern. Where did you put the indicator?

Brian,
Yes, I think I've watched most of the British TV series available here. Netflix is great for that, up to episode 65 of All Creatures Great and Small right now!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Teflon Pipe Dope And Windex

Aage,
Is everybody else has stated, it's a pretty simple job. Just get some teflon pipe dope (mentioned in another post). Once the job is complete I would run all the LP appliances for a little then turn them all off and leave the LP tanks open. Then take Windex or a soapy water solution and spray it on any fittings you may have put a wrench to. If there is a leak you'll see bubbles. Tighten as necessary and repeat the bubble test.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Yes...you most definately can! Use the appropriate thread sealing tape or compound and check for leaks! These are only Airstreams...not rocket ships!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Hey, thanks again you guys!

I like the idea of the indicator for the tank switchover, Vern. Where did you put the indicator?

Brian,
Yes, I think I've watched most of the British TV series available here. Netflix is great for that, up to episode 65 of All Creatures Great and Small right now!
Vern(?) I'm answering anyway.

I ran the wire in through the left battery box, there's a couple of rectangular drains at the bottom. A PO had drilled about a ¼" hole at the top of the plastic box near the front wall so I used that. I just ran the wire up the wall and mounted the indicator just below the front window behind the curtains. I can see it when the curtains are open, and still see the LED flash through them when they are closed, but the curtains keep the light from being annoying at night.

I also agree, All Creatures Great and Small is some of the greatest television programming ever.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Vern(?) I'm answering anyway.

I ran the wire in through the left battery box, there's a couple of rectangular drains at the bottom. A PO had drilled about a ¼" hole at the top of the plastic box near the front wall so I used that. I just ran the wire up the wall and mounted the indicator just below the front window behind the curtains. I can see it when the curtains are open, and still see the LED flash through them when they are closed, but the curtains keep the light from being annoying at night.

I also agree, All Creatures Great and Small is some of the greatest television programming ever.
Vaughan,

My apologies for that confusion on my part. Dunno how it happened; you put your name on every post. Another Senior Moment, I guess. :/

Got a new regulator and the switchover indicator last night. Get this: the local "better-priced" shop here had a bunch of the regulator (in bulk) for C$61 and the switchover indicator was priced at C$64!!

Luckily, the owner of the shop was there and when I mentioned that I could get it in the US for $30, he went to $40, but held his ground on the regulator.

:: sigh :: Our dollar is at $1.06 of your dollars, by the way. Many products have not adjusted to the fact that the money has changed since C$1.00 was US$0.72, and the RV parts industry is one of them!

Taking the compressor down with me today to blow whatever crap is hiding in the hidden bits of the WH, so wish me luck!

Thanks again, evahbuddy!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Something I didn't see mentioned is checking the LP pressure after installing the new regulator. I have had to adjust new regulators right out of the box, as they were not set to 11" wc from the factory. You cannot go by "the flame looks good" as the pressure can be way off and the flame still can look OK.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote