Old 04-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Bosch Tankless Hotwater Heater

Anyone know anything about the Bosch Model # W125- ODS Unvented tankless hotwater heater? There was one on e-bay that went for $395 and was installed in a 1965 Airstream Safari by the seller. It is marketed as being for Airstream, RV's, and Boats. Will it work in a new Airstream. The stats are:

"Dimensions are Height 18 1/2 inches, Width 10 5/8 inches, Depth 7 1/2 inches. Clearances from combustible service for this unit is zero clearance to wall, 2 inches from side's and 12 inches from top and bottom.This is a must for the rv'er. One year warranty. Endless hot water ! This unit is recomended for alitudes to 4,500 feet, and works best at 2,000 feet. and below. ...Specifications Rated input (btu/hour) 40,000, Minimum input (btu/hour) 20,000, Maximum flow rate (USGM) 1.3, Minimum flow rate " 0.6, Hot water output " 45 degree rise 1.3, 100 degree rise 0.6, Water inlet 1/2", Water outlet 1/2", Gas inlet (npt) 1/2", Gas consumption LP gas (lbs./hr.) 0.9-1.8, Inlet water pressure, min. pressure for showers (PSI) 30, Min. working pressure (PSI) 13, Max. working pressure (PSI) 100, Gas inlet pressure requirements: Lp-gas (inches W.C.) 11, Natural Gas ( Inches W.C. ) 7, Not avaliable in canada "

Old 04-21-2005, 01:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
One thing to think about is the recommended elevation. Are you at all likely to camp at elevations above 4500 ft? There are certainly a lot of places in the western states that would be higher than that.

You might want to take a look at the following non-vented water heater.

http://www.excelamerica.com/calentadores_eng.htm

I have no personal direct experience with it but am leaning in that direction when the time comes.

Malcolm

Old 04-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I've looked at the excel before, too. I am impressed with it as well, but remember that I thought for some reason it might not fit. Seems it will only fit where a 10 gallon unit exist and the newer AS's have an 8 gallon I believe. Since the Bosch had been already installed on an Airstream, I thought this might be the best option or thought someone might have installed one already.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
An unvented appliance is worth a great deal of concern.

Catalytic heaters and stove burners run about 5k BTU/hr. This heater is eight times that which means eight times the exhaust gases and eight times the water vapor. That is not good for safety nor comfort in a small enclosed space such as a travel trailer. This heater probably also has the same caveat in its manual as the Excel that it should not be used in a small room or unventilated spaces.

Another concern is the unregulated output temperature. This is probably why a minimum flow is specified.

Interesting there is an altitude specification. That may involve efficiency as well as combustion byproducts.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
45 degree temp rise

This is a must for the rv'er. One year warranty. Endless hot water ! This unit is recomended for alitudes to 4,500 feet, and works best at 2,000 feet. and below. ...Specifications Rated input (btu/hour) 40,000, Minimum input (btu/hour) 20,000, Maximum flow rate (USGM) 1.3, Minimum flow rate " 0.6, Hot water output " 45 degree rise 1.3, 100 degree rise 0.6

Be carefull about the claim of endless hot water, at max flow you get only a 45 degree rise in water temp. I think that the average underground temp is close to 60. But, if you are using the min flow you will have the 100 deg rise.
When something sounds too good to be true...
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #6

Bosch Hot Water Heater

HI... Got a unit in my house and LOVE it!

There are smaller units (not Bosch) but the cost is double... I paid $425.00 for my unit 7 years ago and wouldn't buy or build a house without one.

I'm looking for similar for our 23 Safari, but I've got a space issue and a new dual fuel heater (gas/electric).

Hope this helps..

Rob
Old 04-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some wild ideas?

I have been giving some thought about some way to install an Excel water heater in the space behind my refrigerator where it could take advantage of the venting that is provided back there for the frig. Maybe I could create some sort of pull out mounting that would allow me to access the heater from the living room side. That would require some sort of flexible gas and water lines but that seems possible enough I would think. As far as the temperature regulation I was wondering if I could perhaps install some sort of temperature regulator mixing valve after the heater such as what is available for showers.

Anyone have any thoughts on these ideas?

Malcolm
Old 04-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Have installed the model in a boat.

Works great but you must have enough water pressure to insure that the flame comes on. I also used one in a cabin....a larger model but absolutely loved it. The ventless is best if it gets fresh air so on the boat it had a hatch just above and to the side of it. They don't run all the time only on demand. This system for hot water is used in most countries. It's energy foolish and wasteful to be heating a big tub of water 24/7. On demand hot water heaters are the only way to go! If you have the room the Bosch model 125 is pretty small but isn't tiny. When I was researching which model and brand I heard only positive feedback.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Part of the draw for having a TT is to have our own bath and not to have to trek out to the bath house to take a shower every morning before breakfast. I would love to not have to take a Navy shower if I didn't have to. Part of waking up for me is a nice hot shower, especially on cool mornings. It would be great if this could be fitted into a new Airstream. I'll ask the dealer when we order. I may wait until the warranty runs out on the hot water heater that comes with it, though.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #10

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Is there any reason why you couldn't install an excell unit in the same location where the normal one you are replacing is located? I would think that it could then be ventilated with outside air and be isolated from the interior of the trailer.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
Is there any reason why you couldn't install an excell unit in the same location where the normal one you are replacing is located? I would think that it could then be ventilated with outside air and be isolated from the interior of the trailer.
That is what I was thinking could be done, if it would fit, that is. You would have the venting from the original hot water heater and would have the space that the tank occupied. Would this work or is the space not adequate for the dimensions of the Bosch unit?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Would I be kicked off the forum if I were to suggest that, sometimes, heating water is a tankless job? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Bob
Old 05-04-2005, 08:04 AM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
Would I be kicked off the forum if I were to suggest that, sometimes, heating water is a tankless job? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Bob
Groan...
Okay, off to your room!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There is a very "GOOD" reason that Airstream has never installed a "HOT WATER HEATER".

Andy