Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Black tank on '74 Argosy

I have a 22' rear door 74 Argosy that I have rebuilt. The issue is the toilet in the alcove. I did a repair on the flooring under it, and noticed that when I went to pull it it was glued down with silicon. On replacement, it didn't line up like it should, as the flange from the black tank is off center from the alcove. I am also guessing that the original toilet has been replaced, but not positive on that. After reading the threads, I purchases a new travel lite low toilet thinking it would fit. It didn't, due to requiring a 11" back wall to center flange distance. Mine is closer to 9 3/4", maybe 10. I was able to mount the existing toilet with the front tilted towards the shower, about 10 -15 degrees off of center. Ideally, I would like to move the flange 1 inch forward and 1 inch to the right (facing it) to center the toilet in the alcove and be able to use the travel lite. The existing flange has a threaded abs fitting to the black tank. I could replace the black tank if I could find a replacement tank or fabricate a replacement tank. any thoughts on this? Thanks, Tom

Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilder View Post
I have a 22' rear door 74 Argosy that I have rebuilt. The issue is the toilet in the alcove. I did a repair on the flooring under it, and noticed that when I went to pull it it was glued down with silicon. On replacement, it didn't line up like it should, as the flange from the black tank is off center from the alcove. I am also guessing that the original toilet has been replaced, but not positive on that. After reading the threads, I purchases a new travel lite low toilet thinking it would fit. It didn't, due to requiring a 11" back wall to center flange distance. Mine is closer to 9 3/4", maybe 10. I was able to mount the existing toilet with the front tilted towards the shower, about 10 -15 degrees off of center. Ideally, I would like to move the flange 1 inch forward and 1 inch to the right (facing it) to center the toilet in the alcove and be able to use the travel lite. The existing flange has a threaded abs fitting to the black tank. I could replace the black tank if I could find a replacement tank or fabricate a replacement tank. any thoughts on this? Thanks, Tom
Fiberglass black water tanks, are available.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Is the inlet pre determined or can I cut that in wherever needed?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Is the inlet pre determined or can I cut that in wherever needed?
Do you have a center bath or a rear bath Argosy?

Andy
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Rear bath, the tank is directly under the WC, which is mounted up about 8", so most of the tank is above floor level. From the under side, a section of the tank that is about one half of the overall width is slanted down, and the outlet is at the bottom of that facing street side. This appears to be a fiberglass tank, or was repaired with fiberglass at the outlet.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Hi Twilder,
If its original, its ABS. My 76 Argy is exactly as you described...light green ABS black tank. The floor actually holds the weight of the tank. Why not make your cutout an inch offset and make the necessary adjustments below to the plumbing that snakes around down there? You have room under the interior toilet shelf cover to do some shifting without too much drama.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Rear bath, the tank is directly under the WC, which is mounted up about 8", so most of the tank is above floor level. From the under side, a section of the tank that is about one half of the overall width is slanted down, and the outlet is at the bottom of that facing street side. This appears to be a fiberglass tank, or was repaired with fiberglass at the outlet.
The outlet is in place.

The top of the tank is blank.

You can install the inlet and vent wherever they need to be.

Andy
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Thanks Andy. I'll be in contact with you in the near future to get a new tank or two!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
pulling black tank from 74 Argosy 22' rear door

I'm finally ready to tackle this! I'm pulling the black tank out of a 74 22'
Argosy rear bath/rear door model. Need a bit of help on the removal. Is the black tank held just in the cabinet below the toilet or does the vanity have to be pulled too?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the floor in the vanity is higher than the floor in the trailer. Like the one in my '74. The tank is under the vanity as well.
Why are you pulling the BW tank?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
The PO (or the one before that) cracked it and tried to fix it with gobs of fiberglass and silicon. Also, the orignal flange was offset, so the toilet had to sit at an angle. I had purchased a replacement toilet that was supposed to fit, but due to the offset flange did not.

I did have to pull the bottom and side off of the vanity to get the tank out. Also had to cut the vent stack at the tank. Once all of that was done the tank pulled out easily. Now to get a new one to put back in!