Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Tyler , Texas
Black Tank No Fuss Flush

I have a 2010 30 ft. Classic Limited and the No Fuss Flush is stopped up. I know this subject has been discussed on a couple of threads but it does not cover cutting an access hole in the black/grey tank under belly cover. I contacted Airstream and they advised doing this and sent me a good document covering doing this and the schematic of the black tank. But I am still apprehensive about cutting a hole since you could realistically cut the wires to the sensor. If anyone has done this, please let me know and you could provide pictures of where exactly you cut the access hole I would really appreciate it. This is the "when all else fails" step. I have filling the tank with tank cleaner and ridex, water and Clorox, and air. I have changed out the Vacuum Breaker/check valve and nothing has worked. I have also tried CLR and no difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My sensors have never worked so no loss there.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When you have tried the various chemical concoctions, have you taken the trailer out on the road to get things mixed up. That can possibly break up your clog.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Tyler , Texas
No Fuss Flush

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I understand about your sensors. On my 2006 Safari, that was the number one (and only) complaint I had with the trailer. I was forever changing out sensors. But on our current trailer, we have had zero problems with the sensors. As far as taking it on the road with chemical in it. Yes we have. The problem started during our trip to Alaska last year. Some of the provincial parks we stayed in had no dumps so you had to travel with the black tank partially full. When we did get to a park that had full hookups, I back washed several times to clean it as good as I could. And the reason I am going through all of this to get it working is because I found it invaluable on our trip to Alaska. Great way to add water to the holding tanks. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just an outside chance but there is a check valve behind the water inlet to prevent back flow, could it be stuck preventing water from entering? On our 25 RB we can see the valve looking up under the bath sink connections.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick p View Post
... the No Fuss Flush is stopped up. I know this subject has been discussed on a couple of threads but it does not cover cutting an access hole in the black/grey tank under belly...
About time to change the name of this set-up, innit?
Michael
Old 05-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When I get a stoppage in the black water tank I hookup my sewage pump. This little pump can put vacuum on the pipes and break the stoppage up. If your blockage is in the flushing system than this maybe caused by plugging the spray nozzles with dirt in the fresh water. My shower plugs up whenever I don't use a water filter on the fresh water. Sorry, There is no way to clean the spay nozzles without removing them.

I also have a camera that I use to hookup the trailer. Might try putting that into an empty black tank to see if the spray heads are really plugged from the outside or the inside. If outside, travel with a near full tank and lots of chemicals may work. If on the inside sorry.

This is a good chance to let everyone know that a water filter is cheap insurance for major plumbing problems.

Remember: The difference between a disaster and an adventure is the smile on you face. Also, a disaster twenty five years later is an adventure you can tell your grand-kids.

Happy Camping......
Old 05-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Hi Patrick,

I'm going to put a few pics in here for reference in case they help. I replaced both dump valves AND the tank flush head while I had the tank pan off last fall. I'll admit it was pretty easy with the cover off....
That being said.... i'm not familiar with the set up on your specific Airstream. But, on my 2001 34' Limited the toilet is Street side and the flush head is mounted near the top of the tank, just above where the black valve mounts to the tank.

(Old flush assy. in this pic)

Other than all the sensor wires, there is considerable room above the black tank valve for maneuvering, again however, I had the cover off. One thing to note..

As seen in the pic, my factory installed flusher had a barbed end on it and was installed straight onto the pex tubing supply. The replacement I bought for repair had a female hose connection...

I ended up having to get a bit creative with some brass fittings.

Once that was figured out & I was ready for reinstallation, I generously cleaned the area where the fitting mounted to the tank and installed with a healthy amount of silicone and stainless replacement screws. DON'T over tighten the screws, just nice & snug.

I wish I had a better pic but in this one ( just for reference sake) if you look close up, you can see just the bottom of the tank flush flange, just behind the main exit pipe and above the old black valve.
A rough estimate of it's location, using the main outlet pipe(where it exits the tank cover) 20" towards the front & 7" towards the curb side.

The cover is made of galvanized metal and is about 1/8" thick. Cut as big of an access as your comfortable with and use similar material and the appropriate robots to "seal" up the hole when complete.

Let us know how it all goes...
Old 05-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Drill bigger holes in the no fuss flush

When you get the no fuss flush nozzle off drill bigger holes in it. The little holes are prone to stoppage and they restrict the amount of water going through. I'd say ream 1/8th inch holes in wherever you have holes now.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
"SPACE A"

2006 34' Classic
Fort Worth , Texas
I took my stopped up black tank "NO Fuss Flush" to Jackson Center. The tech used high pressure air and water and blew out all the crud. I am not sure which actually blew it out. He says they have much higher water pressure than most places. I works perfect any you don't have to drop the belly pan. I had already tried all the chemical remedies for months, so that may have loosen things up before I got there. Try them all. The tech said the high pressure won't hurt the fitting in the tank.
guskmg
Old 05-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
What is this " No Fuss Flush" ??? Is this something different from the tank flush system that is on the trailer from the factory ???? I use a Flush King and have had good results but this one is new to me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
The "No Fuss Flush" is just the retail name for what the factory puts in. If you have a trailer without a black flush, you can add one.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
ThanX. This is the first thread that I've seen that term used. I got it now. I have the installed tank flush in mine and I do use it but I prefer the FlushKing and use it more frequently. Not really sure that it's any better but I do feel it works much faster.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Tyler , Texas
Black Water flush valve

tuxpin, thanks so much for the info and pictures. I did build up the nerve to cut an access hole in the tank cover and located the tank flush just like your picture showed. It was no easy task cutting into the metal. Unfortunately, the access panel was not large enough to reach the flush valve and on first examination it appears I will have to do all the removal and replacement with one hand since it is located almost directly above the black water drain line. I was not able to see how to remove the pex line from the valve and how difficult it is to remove it. Any suggestions would help. Thanks again for the pictures and help.