Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Big ones or little ones...which is better?

Greetings Phrunes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I just had a thought...after polishing them, which I started today. The big tanks will be like a full length mirror, versus the smaller tanks being like a medicine cabinet mirror...hmmmm I could check my campin attire in the big ones. Decisions, decisions.
The photo below show the twin 40-pound Worthingtons on my '64 Overlander shortly after the trailer and tanks were polished by P and S Trailer Service.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin

P.S.: The tanks were "mirror" polished while the Overlander received and "Original Sheen" polish with Plasticoat.

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Phrunes!

The photo below show the twin 40-pound Worthingtons on my '64 Overlander shortly after the trailer and tanks were polished by P and S Trailer Service.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin

P.S.: The tanks were "mirror" polished while the Overlander received and "Original Sheen" polish with Plasticoat.
Wow! That looks great! If you don't mind my asking...what is a reasonable price for the tank polishing? I'm getting a mirror finish to mine, but I'm having trouble on the inside areas near the fill valve. Honestly, with the trailer strip and polish underway, I would just as soon outsource the tank polishing.
Matt

Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Big ones or little ones...which is better?

Greetings Matt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Wow! That looks great! If you don't mind my asking...what is a reasonable price for the tank polishing? I'm getting a mirror finish to mine, but I'm having trouble on the inside areas near the fill valve. Honestly, with the trailer strip and polish underway, I would just as soon outsource the tank polishing.
Matt
I haven't heard anything about what the cost might be for polishing just a pair of LP Tanks. When mine were done, my Overlander was already in the shop for polish and Plasticoat, and the tanks were included as a part of that job. The tanks were new at the time as I was replacing the steel tanks that had been installed on the coach prior to my purchase . . . I don't know whether a professional polisher would attempt polishing tanks that had been filled or had LP in them.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Matt!

I haven't heard anything about what the cost might be for polishing just a pair of LP Tanks. When mine were done, my Overlander was already in the shop for polish and Plasticoat, and the tanks were included as a part of that job. The tanks were new at the time as I was replacing the steel tanks that had been installed on the coach prior to my purchase . . . I don't know whether a professional polisher would attempt polishing tanks that had been filled or had LP in them.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Kevin, I've been polishing mine for the last few days assuming they were empty...until I hit the valve and heard the hiss over the buffer. Holy Moley! So, my plan is to have new OPDs put in first, because the tanks will be purged...then resume polishing. Ideally, I will have someone else, a professional, assume the polishing duties if it is not too costly. Thanks for your reply by the way!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I have twin 40lb aluminum tanks on my 34' Avion and like them a lot. Never run out of gas!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Matt if it comes down to what is most convenient stick with the 40's. So then now that that's settled I'll buy your 30's as we are more weekend campers and are looking for some tanks to polish up once I'm done polishing the Safari. Good luck,
Barry & Karen
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We have two 30 lb tanks. I'm about to fill one and probably won't need to fill that same one again until the fall. We don't use much propane spring, summer, and fall.

In winter we use a tank every 2-3 days, around freezing temperatures.

I probably wouldn't bother with the 40 lb tanks unless I got a GREAT deal on them and a new tank cover. They're that much heavier as someone pointed out, and the benefits (probably an extra day or two in winter) probably aren't worth the hassle and expense for us, given we already have two good 30 lb cylinders. It might be a different result if I had to buy two new ones, though.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote