Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Basic Fridge Question ...

I have a 2002 classic with orig Dometic fridge. I have attempted to clean and this is the size of the flame. Is that reasonable?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2764.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	351978
umasslax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Is it not cooling? I see yellow residue on the burner. This probably indicates a refrigerant leak. The flame looks a bit small, but pics of fire can sometimes not show the top of the flame.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yep. Just swapped out my burner and it looks the same. Reefer is cooling well. The flame exhausts up the tube above it and the hot combustion gasses heat the adjacent boiler.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Takes forever and does not seem to cool well. When I run it on electric it cools just fine and ice is able to be made. The LP just wont do the job. Pressure with in the line serves an adequate supply to the range. Just squat to the fridge. Next step?
umasslax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by umasslax View Post
Takes forever and does not seem to cool well. When I run it on electric it cools just fine and ice is able to be made. The LP just wont do the job. Pressure with in the line serves an adequate supply to the range. Just squat to the fridge. Next step?
Hi

Check (and clean) the entire stack / vent path all the way to the outside world. You may have something fairly high up blocking things. If there is nothing obvious, a good blast with a compressed air hose is the next step ( to get things you can't easily see).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
^^^^^ x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by umasslax View Post
I have a 2002 classic with orig Dometic fridge. I have attempted to clean and this is the size of the flame. Is that reasonable?Attachment 351978
Make sure the flue vent pipe going up is not crimped or dented. Does the flue go up through the roof? Look carefully for bird/spider/insect nests inside the flue cap on the roof [ladder, flashlight, small tube-cleaning brush/etc.] With the fridge burning propane, that roof cap should get too hot to touch if the exhaust gases are flowing freely IMO.

The performance on electric and propane should be similar IMO.

How about the fresh-air ventilation screen on the exterior access door? Is enough fresh air getting in for proper combustion? Try propping that access door up, and see if that improves things on propane IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
How do you know the gas has an “adequate” supply? I have found that the flame could look normal and wile other appliances were able to function not having adequate LP pressure was enough to cause an inadequate amount of heat from the burner.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote