Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Bad Automatic Gas Regulator?

Something funny is happening with my gas regulator on my 2005 International. One LPG tank ran empty so I switched the change-over lever to the other tank, then unscrewed the hose from the closed empty tank.

I smelled propane and, sure enough, could feel propane escaping through the unconnected hose, even though the change-over lever was in the correct position. Closing the second tank solved the problem by halting the propane flow. Reconnecting the hose will of course stop the flow, but this is a pain as I want the LPG avaialble to the trailer while going out to re-fill the second tank.

Am I doing this right?

If there is a problem somewhere in the regulator, is this fixable (replacing seals or such), or am I probably looking at replacing the entire Automatic gas regulator? Eight year old trailer with moderate to heavy usage, perhaps this is just the normal lifecycle?

Airstream Dad

Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It is shot and you will have to replace it. They are not expensive.

To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Sounds like your unit is bad. Regulators are not worth they liability of rebuilding and the cost of a new one is relatively inexpensive.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I bought a new automatic on two months ago for $43 - it too all of five minutes to hook up - works like a dream. Not worth taking a chance with propane.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Understood, thanks for confirming!

I saw some older posts on recommended gas regulators (Marshall seems to be mentioned). There's also this inexpensive Cosco - Camco 59005 RV Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator : : Automotive

Any recommendations on a replacement? And should I go ahead and replace the pig tail connector lines while I'm at it?

Is it just pipe tape to re-attach the line from the trailer and the two new pig tail lines?

thanks again,

Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote