Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Anyone installing new propane lights?

One of the things I am thinking about during the rebuilding of my 1973 31' International is what to do about lighting. It occurred to me to wonder if anyone is installing brand new propane lighting in their units. I did some searching for new propane powered lights and found the following site. These folks have several different kinds of propane lights that would work for RV use but the one on the following link seems like it would be a good choice:

Mr. Heater Base Camp Indoor Propane Gas Lights

How about it - would a brand new propane light install be a good thing in your opinion? Are there other units that would be a better choice than the one above?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
The 59 I had used a propane light . It worked great in the winter light and heat all in one. It was hot in the summer time. We did use this when it was cooler outside.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Vintage propane fixtures show up often on eBay. Propane lights are an independent source of light. Imagine sitting in the dark of a winter's eve with lots of propane, a dead battery and no light. Don't leave home without one.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Deer Park , Washington
Got mine from Gas Lights. I think it might be the same outfit. Anyway they have the Paulin-Humphrey gas lights. This company bought out the company that made the gas lights for the older Air Streams. I was also able to get my older gas light working by buying parts from here also. One word of caution. If you do buy a Paulin light notice they only have one screw holding the globe in. The first time I took the trailer out with the new light installed the globe fell off. Lucky for me it landed on carpet and did not break. I now take the globe off when I'm going down the road.
custom67as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I've got friends with similar fixtures in remote cabins. The brand name "Mr. Heater" does say a lot; they put out quite a few BTUs. Nice on those cool nights, so long as you don't have flammable material right above them.

Also, do you have a ceiling mounted ionization type combustion / flame / smoke detector installed? Combustion products from one of these might set it off. Last week, boondocking, I decided to try a Dietz kerosene lantern inside for a little heat and just enough light to see by (after all, that many Amish folks can't all be wrong, huh?) ... saves battery juice and gives heat - what could be better? The smoke detector didn't like it at all, even with a nearby window open and one ceiling vent partially open. Alas. Reverted to electric lights and the propane-eating furnace. YMMV.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

sorry to go against the grain.........

I plan to take out my gas light. I never use it, except when I need to bump my head. I would worry about the heat doing damage to the ceiling liner. When I camp in the wintertime, I use electricity or candles.
I plan to use the gas supply line for the old light to feed my portable grill.
I want to install a quick hook up fitting. ( I forget what you call them.)
I always use the grill, and I am tired of running out of the little green canisters.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I have a Paulin-Humphrey in my trailer mounted right by the door. Works very well and gives off a lot of light. Oh, ditto the single screw holding the globe thing. I need to buy a new globe.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The Humphrey light was in our '65 Caravel when we got it. Great when boondocking in the winter. A little bit of heat and a lot of light. Wouldn't be without one.

First experience with a gas light was on our houseboat in the California Delta. Used it for 27 years.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Be awfully careful of the carbon monoxide fumes for the LPG lights.

Most owners quit using them because every time, or so it seemed, they took the trailer on the road, they had to replace the globe, again and again.

Cleaning up the broken glass from the carpet, is no easy chore.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Falks Light

We installed a Falks Light in our '60 Caravel. The PO had removed the original LP light and put in an unattractive replacement, so this was an improvement to us. We have had no issues with the globe dropping, even over bumpy roads. Plus, it puts out a very nice light.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I never leave home without mine and use it all the time. It's the original Veritas gas lamp made in Germany, with the original all white globe. Great, evenly distributed light and warms up the trailer. Never had an issue with the globe coming off but mine has the three set screws and I check them before every trip. Did lose a mantle once though.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Veritas1.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	63507  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There is one listed on ebay at this time. Not sure of the make...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The one in the picture is missing the heat deflector

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I'm installing a new Humprey in the 67, have not run the gas line yet.
Too many other projects
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00049.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	63556  
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
The new FALKS has a more vintage look that the Paulin-Humphries. Got mine to replace the missing Veritas from Lehman's - Products for Simple, Self-sufficient Living

Had to move the mounting bracket down about 4" since the Falks has a curved neck, where the Veritas was straight.

Be careful with the mantles, though. If you leave them on, and don't stow them (carefully!) in the original little box, they shatter in transit. $6 a throw.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote