Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Elkhart , Indiana
Anyone ever install a grey water tank? I need advice or tips

So I decided to install just a grey water tank to shower and sink. I've never done this. I eliminated the black tank and plan on using a compost toilet. Anyways what are some experiences you guys have learned from? Or tips. I'm ordering the tank pre made with fittings in desired spots. What are some things I'll need as well? I have experience in PEX and plumbing. Thanks
Thill_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello Thill, welcome to all things Airstream. I see you are from the heart of RV manufacturing in this country. I'll bet your friends and neighbors are good sources of information and parts.

I installed new gray and black tanks under my 66 Trade Wind. It was a major project for me. I felt a gray water storage tank is required if you plan on traveling in your vintage Airstream. A "tote" tank as another alternative.

The belly pan comes off as well as the old insulation. While I was at it I cleaned and inspected the frame, then I painted it so it will last a little longer. I elected to hang my new tanks from the frame rails and drain the tanks from the street side below the frame rails as is the convention on most newer trailers. The toilet sits over the black tank of course, but I had to relocate the toilet.

I ordered my tanks from Inca Plastics in California. The tanks are about 26 gallon capacity. I also used their rubber grommets instead of spin welding threaded fittings to the tank. This allowed a bit more flexibility in running the drain and vent lines.

Here is a photo of the two tanks I purchased from Inca Plastics, then a photo of the tanks installed under the trailer subfloor, then a photo of the tank drain connection behind the rear wheels street side, and finally a photo of the toilet relocated between the frame rails.

So it all worked out and is now validated with three 1000 mile travels. Hope this helps.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks See Level Senders.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	256921   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks Installed.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	256922  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Street Front.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	256923   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408 Bath Vanity Sliding Doors.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	256924  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
Neighbors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill_1985 View Post
So I decided to install just a grey water tank to shower and sink. I've never done this. I eliminated the black tank and plan on using a compost toilet. Anyways what are some experiences you guys have learned from? Or tips. I'm ordering the tank pre made with fittings in desired spots. What are some things I'll need as well? I have experience in PEX and plumbing. Thanks
I know this post was a while ago, but I am in the Goshen/Elkhart area and wondering how you decided to add your tanks. Thanks!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote