Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
they work. I have had them for five years in both 30 and 40 lb tanks.
you use these horizontal tanks? Do you just ignore the float gauge?
__________________

__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Over59's Avatar
 
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,064
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I'm not begrudging VTS. Love those guys and they provide a great service. I just wanted to save money where I can. Amazon is not charging me shipping on top of a slightly cheaper price. I wanted someone to tell me why VTS was the right way to go. I'd rather go with the right solution, and I wanted aluminum tanks.


You bought a vintage trailer. Do it right or do it twice. There is nothing wrong with steel tanks. You can paint them silver, which is alot less work than polishing the al ones. You need to understand that the process is endless, the dollars are many, and the time three times what you would expect if you want a fully undated shiney trailer. I'ld suggest you use it for a season before doing much to it. You may find it is OK to have steel tank like stuff.

They have the best price I could find. Get the fuel gauge on at least one of the tanks.
__________________

__________________
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Just a quick rant on always searching for the 'best price'.

A company like VTS is a very valuable resource in this community. Send your business to the large retailers who might have the item a bit cheaper and watch the small, service oriented companies Like VTS, Inland RV and others whither away and disappear. Then you will have NOTHING except your cheaper price to thank!

And BTW, keep shopping at Wal*Mart while you're at it and support those good folks in the corporate board rooms who gleefully send US jobs to China and other offshore locations so they can increase their bonuses and the bottom line of their corporations while helping to decimate the US middle and working class.

Rant over!
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,271
Images: 55
Import Cheap

Lew:
I hear you!

Dave
__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 25' Tradewind
Falling Rock , West Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
Images: 1
You can check the liquid level of any propane tank by pouring very hot water over the outside of the tank. A condensation line will appear, to give you a approximate level of liquid propane.
__________________
HillBilySkMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Just a quick rant on always searching for the 'best price'.

A company like VTS is a very valuable resource in this community. Send your business to the large retailers who might have the item a bit cheaper and watch the small, service oriented companies Like VTS, Inland RV and others whither away and disappear. Then you will have NOTHING except your cheaper price to thank!

Rant over!
Rant away, I just sent VTS over $300 and plan to send a lot more. For something that is very standard, and that may be taking up a lot of room in their inventory, and be very heavy to ship, it was one of the few things I was looking elsewhere for. In hindsight, I probably should have kept the steel tanks and painted them. Certainly would have been much cheaper. I was kind of looking at resale value when considering the Aluminum. The old steel ones had just been sitting in a garage for a while. I could probably go back and get them, but it was an even split for the long term on how to handle those. And the savings I got from the aluminum tanks probably would have gone right back to VTS in the form of something or other since we are nuts about the Overlander.

I completely agree with the rant though. We buy our milk from a small family owned (meaning the teenage boys milk the cow) farm, and I do my best to support small family owned or regional businesses.
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
So If I understand correctly the forklift tank is $150 and the VTS tank is $157. The forklift tank is a liquid tank which you will have to remove the liquid valve, plug the hole, buy a vapor valve and install it, remove the liquid guage and replace it with a vapor guage. That is if the forklift tank can be retrofitted to use with a vapor setup. I can't see how you would be saving any money at all. It would probably end up costing more.
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
alclad's Avatar
 
1961 16' Bambi
Wilmington , DE
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 133
Images: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Rant away, I just sent VTS over $300 and plan to send a lot more. For something that is very standard, and that may be taking up a lot of room in their inventory, and be very heavy to ship, it was one of the few things I was looking elsewhere for. In hindsight, I probably should have kept the steel tanks and painted them. Certainly would have been much cheaper. I was kind of looking at resale value when considering the Aluminum. The old steel ones had just been sitting in a garage for a while. I could probably go back and get them, but it was an even split for the long term on how to handle those. And the savings I got from the aluminum tanks probably would have gone right back to VTS in the form of something or other since we are nuts about the Overlander.

I completely agree with the rant though. We buy our milk from a small family owned (meaning the teenage boys milk the cow) farm, and I do my best to support small family owned or regional businesses.

we bought 2 20 pounders from vts, polished them .

they look like show chrome plating. worth the money. and they are from good people.

don
__________________
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
So If I understand correctly the forklift tank is $150 and the VTS tank is $157. The forklift tank is a liquid tank which you will have to remove the liquid valve, plug the hole, buy a vapor valve and install it, remove the liquid guage and replace it with a vapor guage. That is if the forklift tank can be retrofitted to use with a vapor setup. I can't see how you would be saving any money at all. It would probably end up costing more.

Thanks. I'm not saying I was going to do it, I just wanted to know what people thought. I can build cabinets and furniture, and know all about banking, but all this RV stuff is new to me.
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by alclad View Post
we bought 2 20 pounders from vts, polished them .

they look like show chrome plating. worth the money. and they are from good people.

don
Sounds good! I don't plan to do a lot of boondocking with 2 kids, so the 20 pounders may be just right.
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Sounds good! I don't plan to do a lot of boondocking with 2 kids, so the 20 pounders may be just right.
Rob I'll give you an example of consumption. I full timed in mine for 9 yrs and in the summer I could go 4 months on two 40 lbs tanks. I don't use the stove much and have the gas/elec combo water heater so it doesn't use as much propane and the gas only version. In the dead of winter the same two 40's would last one week. If you plan on doing any cool weather camping two 20's may not be enough. Why not wait and use the steel ones to find out your typical consumption rate before buying tanks that may be too small for you.
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Rob I'll give you an example of consumption. I full timed in mine for 9 yrs and in the summer I could go 4 months on two 40 lbs tanks. I don't use the stove much and have the gas/elec combo water heater so it doesn't use as much propane and the gas only version. In the dead of winter the same two 40's would last one week. If you plan on doing any cool weather camping two 20's may not be enough. Why not wait and use the steel ones to find out your typical consumption rate before buying tanks that may be too small for you.
I don't actually have the steel tanks anymore for one.... and I need to get them refitted. I think I may reach out to the guy that has them and see about maybe painting them for now.
__________________

__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amazon, aluminum


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Propane Tanks? Rob&Julie LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 7 02-12-2011 06:38 AM
off the top of your head ... propane funkill LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 2 02-08-2011 04:51 PM
Propane Tanks and gauges etc. SilverHoot LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 13 02-05-2011 10:58 PM
Can not find Propane leak bmklawt LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 15 01-02-2011 11:01 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.