Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I Have my orginal tanks but they do not have the new ODP valves on them. I have looked and I am still looking for a gas company who will change them over. I keep hearing about the liability issue. One of these days I will find somebody to switch the ODP valves.

Lothlorian

Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Lothlorian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I Have my orginal tanks but they do not have the new ODP valves on them. I have looked and I am still looking for a gas company who will change them over. I keep hearing about the liability issue. One of these days I will find somebody to switch the ODP valves.

Lothlorian
I had a similar problem when I tried to get my Minuet's tanks updated. As a last resort, I asked my Airstream dealer who was doing updates for his shop -- they had the update performed for me while my coach was in for regular service. For some reason, a shop that wouldn't handle the upgrade for an individual did so as a subcontractor for a dealer. Recently, I had the opportunity to visit with a dealer who specializes in fifth wheels -- they also facilitate LP tank updates for their customers.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

Lothlorian
We took the old tanks to a local Propane shop here in Phoenix and they changed the valves, checked for leaks and re-certified the tanks. They did not mention anything about liability. This place is one of those commercial propane companies with the big trucks and commercial tanks. They seemed like this was an ordinary transaction for them.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I have my original tanks but they do not have the new ODP valves on them. I have looked and I am still looking for a gas company who will change them over. I keep hearing about the liability issue. One of these days I will find somebody to switch the ODP valves.

I got a new OPD valves for one of my aluminum tanks from Out Of Doors Mart and took the tank (empty) and valve to my local RV dealer (they don't sell Airstreams) and they swapped the valve for 1/2 hour labor charge.

Aluminum tanks take a different OPD valve than the run of the mill steel tanks so make sure you get ones for an Aluminum tanks.

Out of Doors Mart links...

30# OPD Valve
40# OPD Valve

Here's a link to a WBCCI PDF concerning OPD valve replacements and a purchasing program. It's from 2003, but the safety aspect still holds true...

http://www.wbcci.org/documents/special_0603.pdf

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote