Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Aluminum Propane Tanks

Hello all,
Would like to order a pair of aluminum propane tanks for our trailer that is being restored. Not in a big hurry (late summer would be fine) Is their a market for used or is that something that you should only buy new?
Thanks in advance for any help

Abe
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I second that question.

We bought new ones, but decided that the shiney (shiny?) aluminum is the only way to go...

Can I have second dibs on any used ones that come along??

Ron

Old 03-16-2004, 06:58 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
If you are able to find used ones, they may not have OPD valves.
The valves from your steel tanks won't fit the aluminum.
My aluminum tanks are at my local propane dealer right now, waiting for the valves which they had to order. Estimated cost $30 each.
Just something to bear in mind.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I would buy new if you're going to keep the trailer for any length of time. AirstreamDreams carries the aluminum tanks.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi

We just had our Vintage aluminum tanks re-valved. Love to afford new - but if you can get yourself a pair of "used ones" then 95% chance they will be able to re-valve them.

There is a risk however that if they have not been re-valved before the valve can get pretty stuck and the chance of the thread being stripped getting the old valves out is a possiblity and we were warned ahead of time and once stripped - they become "Lamp Stands"

There is never an issue with rust and the aluminum tanks - and for vintage trailers who are going to have a shine on - then I agree - the 'shiny' ones are a must to make the package complete.

Our LP guy pressure blew the tanks as well why not sure - just to clean them of any contaminants maybe? before he put the new valves on.

Anyway - one tank had a recent valve put on in 1990 - but still passed it's 10 years and the other valve was installed - original - 1959. They both made it through surgery fine and it cost us $29.00 CND each - sure saved us the $200+ each for new ones by the time you ad in the exchange and shipping.

So for any of those entruepreneurs out there - hunt down those aluminum tanks, re-valve them and shine em' up and bingo you can sell them for 75% less than new and still make a nice profit. Gees wonder if I can find any up here - just might be able to pay for a new Awning

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

"Our LP guy pressure blew the tanks as well why not sure - just to clean them of any contaminants maybe? before he put the new valves on."

That was to make sure they wouldn't blow up when he put LP into them. Also all regular air must be evacuated before use. If regular air is mixed with propane it can burn back into the hose and into the tank with undesireable effects.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
ElliottBartlett

Well that was a bit of jucy info....YIKES just had a vision - first camping experience making Sunday Morning pancakes BAM! and there is me holding just the handle of the frying pan - trees a 100 ft radius gone, all my nice new curtains, pillows etc. etc. poof gone, Tow vehicle and shell of Moon Beam splashing down behind me in the nice cool lake with an eiry sizzle....Thank goodness we were the only ones in the park and the Hubby decided to take the girls for an early morning walk beyond the 100ft radius...

what the......happend - oh nothing dear just decided to make pancakes for a change You see the Sunday morning ritual is Peter always makes the pancakes

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by ElliottBartlett
" If regular air is mixed with propane it can burn back into the hose and into the tank with undesireable effects.
"Undesirable" is an extreme understatement. I have never heard of that happening, and I hope I never do.
Terry
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Road King Moe,
Any reason to order the 40# vs the 30# tanks?

Abe
Old 03-17-2004, 10:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Aluminum Propane Tanks

Greetings Abe!

Quote:
Any reason to order the 40# vs the 30# tanks?
When I replaced the steel 30 pound tanks on my '64 Overlander International, I decided to go with 40 pound tanks for several reasons:

1. Two 40-pound tanks will supply most, if not all, of my needs for an entire season of travel.

2. Reduced or eliminated the need to find propane suppliers while en-route. Also reduces the chances of having someone unfamiliar with the aluminum tanks from damaging them while they are off the coach being filled. By using my regular service facility for re-fills, I know that the tanks are handled in such a way as to protect the polished finish.

3. I don't have to worry about finding propane suppliers who will fill tanks while-you-wait. In the area where I live, very few of the suppliers will fill tanks while-you-wait - - in fact, in the county where I am moving all of the suppliers have a requirement that you call-in a day in advance for an appointment for fill-while-you-wait as they only do it at one or two times during each day. The alternative is to leave the tank on their loading dock (limited security) by 9:00 a.m. and then pick the tank up before 4:00 p.m.

The only issue that I had with my Overlander was that the tank mount needed to be moved forward approximately 1" to allow the front window to fully open. Since the tank installation was part of the exterior restoration project, moving the mounting ring wasn't a great problem.

Here is a photo of the Worthington Aluminum tanks on my Overlander (these were purchased from Airstreamdreams.com):

Good luck with your new tank decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Cool

Kevin,
Very clean look. I had to put my shades on to look at your tanks!!.
I was sort of leaning towards the 40 any way...
Any type of security set up to keep your tanks attached??

Abe
Old 03-17-2004, 12:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Aluminum Propane Tanks

Greetings Abe!

Quote:
Any type of security set up to keep your tanks attached??
I keep thinking that I probably should have something, but since the trailer is stored beside my home it hasn't become a priority. At my current residence, I am only a few houses from the Mayor's home; and where I am moving, my next-door neighbor is a Federal Law Enforcement Officer and his patrol car is parked just a few feet from where my Overlander will be parked. My luck with padlock keys hasn't been any too good; and a combination lock is a sure method to insure that I won't have access to what it protects.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-17-2004, 05:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
They sure are pretty. Do you come all shined up or did you have to work em some.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:44 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
vajeep,
I ordered 2 30lb Worthington Aluminum tanks today from:

Emerald Isle Distribution Inc
6999 Huntley Rd # M,Columbus,OH 43229
Phone: (614) 888-2788

I spoke to Jason

The cost was $ 111.00 each, plus shipping of $ 15.00 per tank.
Seems like that's the best price I could find.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:58 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Aluminum Propane Tanks

Greetings psychpw!

Quote:
Do you come all shined up or did you have to work em some.
The "bright" shine is the result of polishing that was done by the Ruth's when the trailer was polished and Plasticoated at their shop (P & S Trailer Service, Helena, Ohio). I don't know whether the Ruth's routinely polish the tanks on the coaches that they refinish, but my tanks were new-in-the-box at the time and I asked them to polish them at the same time as the trailer. The tanks themsleves are not Plasticoated as the Ruth's felt that the risk of abbraison of the Plasticoat during handling when refilling was too great. So far, a twice-yearly quick polishes with MetAll polish followed by a coat of Walbernize is all that I have done to maintain the shine on the tanks.

Kevin
AIR #827