Old 02-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Aluminum Propane Tank recertification?

We live in Canada, but bought our AS (used) in the US.

It has the two typical 30# Aluminum propane tanks with gauges and remotes.

I don't have the trailer at the house, but the trailer itself is 2005, so I am guessing that the tanks could be getting close to needing recertification - if that is required on aluminum tanks.

Can anyone tell me what the US requirements are in this regard for aluminum tanks?

If you follow the letter of the law, these US made tanks cannot be refilled in Canada (I did inquire from the authorities!) although I have found some places that don't appear to know that!

I did find that our local Costco store refused to fill them but a nearby Canadian Tire store did!

Usually we travel with the trailer in the US anyway so it isn't a problem.

Just wondering though if I will soon need to get them recertified? If so, I'm guessing it just requires a hydrostatic test, and that any major propane dealer could do it for us when we are in the US.

We have one empty tank at the moment and will be heading south later this month.

Appreciate any advice or comment.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
In the US, they'll need to be recertified at the 12 years after manufacture. You'll see it marked on the collar of the tank with month and year. (Canadian law differs in this regard, I think.)

If the two cylinders are of roughly the same age as the AS, they'll already have OPD valves.

You'll need to locate a propane dealer (not just a filler) to get the recertification done. Some of them collect a fee for this; others will do it for free. It'll usually be a visual recertification, good for five years and indicated by an "E" with new month and date.

Lynn

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
In the US, they'll need to be recertified at the 12 years after manufacture.
And then every 5 years thereafter.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
In the US, they'll need to be recertified at the 12 years after manufacture. You'll see it marked on the collar of the tank with month and year. (Canadian law differs in this regard, I think.)

If the two cylinders are of roughly the same age as the AS, they'll already have OPD valves.

You'll need to locate a propane dealer (not just a filler) to get the recertification done. Some of them collect a fee for this; others will do it for free. It'll usually be a visual recertification, good for five years and indicated by an "E" with new month and date.

Lynn
I plead ignorance to recertification. As long as the tanks are OPD I have never been questioned. I think certification requirements vary state to state.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Marshall, it is a little tricky in the US because we have 50 different sets of laws. However, those laws generally conform to the recommendations set forth by the National Fire Protection Association, Pub. 58:

NFPA 58: Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code

It is that publication that specifies the certification requirements for our RV propane cylinders.

Lynn
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
There is a local propane company who I deal with that certify's and fills. They do a visual.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our 2005 25FB came with steel LP tanks. After we had had it about two years, I ran across two 30# Aluminum LP tanks at a garage sale for $10 each. They were made in 1971. I scooped these up and had them fitted with modern valves. They were never re-certified. Over the last six years, I had them filled countless rimes at many different locations all over the United States. No one ever asked about certification.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2012 FC 23' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
If the cylinders simply look really sharp, it's probably fairly easy to get them filled. Many fillers will, I'm sure, simply overlook the date.

It is a little tricky, though. In US states that require a filler's license, filling a cylinder in this way would generally be grounds for losing the license. It'd be a heavy price to pay.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Our 2005 25FB came with steel LP tanks. After we had had it about two years, I ran across two 30# Aluminum LP tanks at a garage sale for $10 each. They were made in 1971. I scooped these up and had them fitted with modern valves. They were never re-certified. Over the last six years, I had them filled countless rimes at many different locations all over the United States. No one ever asked about certification.

Brian
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Going Places , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
You may have been overlooked but that's certainly not the case for us. I'm surprised (and pleased I guess) that people filling my tanks are aware of certification expiration. On the other hand, the certification does seem to simply be a visual inspection.

On steel tanks (that might rust) apparently the visual inspection includes a measurement for a % of metal loss due to rust. I think the metal loss is measured in depth of the pock mark/divet formed when the rust flakes off.

The person that installed your new OPD valves should have inspected your tanks at that time and scribed them or otherwise marked them with new expiration dates. As said above, I think it's every 5 years thereafter.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
If all else fails, I think you can buy 30 pound propane tanks at Costco for $39.99, each (if my memory is correct).
Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I had a bit of a struggle finding someone to recertify mine, finally found a place that does fork lift tanks that was able to do it. Nobody wanted to do the aluminum tanks for some reason, one place claimed they didn't make them anymore. After mine were recertified I haven't had any problem getting them filled, they look at the OPD valve and fill away.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Indeed the aluminum tanks are funny
I've had places refuse to fill my #40 as they assumed them to be forklift tanks and they had license issues.....
Conversely I've heard yep looks good!
Very recently at a Pilot/ flying J I was asked for drivers license and vehicle tag info.... I asked why the super security and was told a new FL law starting 1/2014

I understand security and all but that's crazy!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Thanks to all for the info! If it is 12 years, I may be ok for a bit yet. I will check the date on the tanks when we pull the trailer out of storage in a couple of weeks to head for Az. (as long as we are not snowed in!)

I think that if it turned out to be a hassle to get them certified (due to being aluminum) I might just switch to regular 20lb steel bottles. We don't use a lot of propane in the trailer, the smaller bottles would be easier to handle, and also I generally have a few full new at home due to my home brewing hobby!

Thanks again for the info!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Nope, I don't think there will be any hassle at all to get them certified. They're a little tougher to buy OPD valves for because of the somewhat longer dip tube, but certification will be a snap if they're otherwise in good shape.

Lynn