Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Newmarket , Ontario
I know I am resurrecting an old thread but I am in Canada as well and have been considering purchasing 30# Aluminum LP tanks and wanted to know if you were able to recertify the tanks or if you had to move to steel tanks?

Thanks

Mike

Old 05-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
In the US they can be recertified, don't know about Canada. Mine were done by the PO at a gas supplier. The date was engraved into the tank handle. Jim

Old 05-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarketca View Post
I know I am resurrecting an old thread but I am in Canada as well and have been considering purchasing 30# Aluminum LP tanks and wanted to know if you were able to recertify the tanks or if you had to move to steel tanks?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

No I haven't done anything yet - I did check the dates and found that they are good for another year or so yet.

Incidentally - if your tanks are the same as mine (i.e. from the USA) they are technically not refillable in Canada, although I have managed to get mine filled at a local Canadian Tire Gas Station.

I got this info direct from the Fed Govt in Canada. I believe that to be legal in Canada they need to be stamped CSA or DOT/CSA. Mine are just have a DOT stamp.

I'm not sure how many propane refillers know are care about that - most likely they just look at the date and go by that.

We do most pf our camping in the and I generally try to ensure I have at least one full bottle when we come home, so seldom need to get propane in Canada.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Newmarket , Ontario
Thanks Brian for the quick reply. I am currently negotiating for an AS in the states and was considering negotiating for aluminum bottles as part of the deal. Based on your input I will buy the tanks here in Canada and have both sides of the border covered.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 05-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarketca View Post
Thanks Brian for the quick reply. I am currently negotiating for an AS in the states and was considering negotiating for aluminum bottles as part of the deal. Based on your input I will buy the tanks here in Canada and have both sides of the border covered.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi again Mike,

Before deciding on gas bottles, you might want to check US regs if you travel to the US often.

Seems to me that when I looked into this whole subject some time back, it could be that a Canadian bottle - if it only has a CSA stamp and not both CSA and DOT could give you problems getting it filled in the USA - depending on how
close to the rules the filler sticks - or if he/she even knows the rules!

To me this is whole issue is another case wherein our two countries could and should cooperate a lot more closely. I used to find this also in my career working with Canadian National Railways in terms of just very slightly different freight car inspection rules in Canada versus the USA.

So often our regulations in Canada are a very close copy of the US regulations - with just a couple of changes - just enough to make life difficult and complicated!

My cynical mind makes me think those changes were made just to prove that we are "Different!"

Maybe eventually these things will come together a little better - not likely in my lifetime though unfortunately!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Here in the USA I found some big gas companies will not re-certify them. I took mine to a small gas company and they did it for a nominal fee. They put new valves on them and pasted the certification on the tank

Brian
Old 05-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Newmarket , Ontario
Hi Brian - Thanks for the additional thoughts on the cylinders and all of the regulations. My research agrees with your views on Canada being the same but different.

On the steel propane tanks they are marked with the US DOT spec of DOT 4BA240 and the Transport Canada TC4BAM16. The only difference is how the service pressure is rated 240 lbs in the US and 16 BAR in Canada (232 lbs). Some of the newer ones are rated 17 bar which gives it a slightly higher spec (additional 14.4 lbs).

I found that the Manchester company has a distribution site just outside of London Ontario and I will give them a call to see how their aluminum tanks are stamped.

Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
Recert

I just had one 30# aluminum tank in for re certification.
Took it to a long time family operated propane company in Cedarburg WI. Boehlke Bottled Gas Corp.

During removal of the main gas supply line, for tongue painting, I had found oil in the line. So I wanted the tank OPD valve removed and the tank inverted to remove any oil. I had gotten about 2 tablespoons out the gas line and about the same came out of the tank itself.
The Tech found that the OPD valve was in need of replacement. I was able watch as tech did the service and he explained everything completely.

They charged me $35 for the valve and $5 for the recert.
Engraved new recert date in tank and added a sticker to the inside of the handle ring with their business info and recert date.

$35 for valve, $5 for recert and $26.03 for propane fill

Will do the same to other tank when it is empty.

I just showed up at their location without an appointment , and 1/2 hour later I was out the door. Overall I was very pleased with the service and price.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
In the last few years I have had 4 aluminum and 2 steel tanks recertified. Two were so old that they did not have the OPD type valves. Did not have any issues with the aluminum. ~$40 USD for the valves installed and ~$10 USD for the recertification. Part were done in Florida, part were done in North Carolina. The inspections in both places were the same, visual. Both placed a sticker on the tank that shows an inspector ID number and the date of inspection. (one of mine is in the Classified for sale if you want to see a photo of the sticker)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #24
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Don't worry too much about that bit of liquid in the line. It's generally a by-product from the refining process, tiny droplets of oily stuff that fall out of suspension and wind up in the lowest points of your system: The bottom of the propane cylinder itself or at the lowest point in your lines, generally right where the rubber line from the regulator connects to the metal line in front.

If it's mercaptan, as some suppose, well, you'll know it fast. Mercaptan is really, really stinky stuff, a gas that is added to propane to identify a leak with your nose. Stick your finger in the oily substance. If your significant other will not allow your into the house afterwards, or if you find yourself fighting off clouds of black flies, then it's mercaptan (which is kind of hard to find in the regular atmosphere as a liquid!). Or you messed up and got nasty old rotten eggs on your finger instead.

Will it foul your regulator? Probably not. The tiny amount of it in suspension just goes right through the regulator. (Remember that you're drawing vaporous propane from the upper part of your RV cylinder, not liquid from the bottom.)

If you do wind up with a bit too much of it over a long time, you can just remove the rubber line from the metal line and drain it out, just as you did, TOPORANGER. But it's pretty unlikely that you'd ever get enough into that low point to stop it up. Possible, just not super likely. Definitely not one of those "yearly maintenance" matters.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPORANGER View Post
I just had one 30# aluminum tank in for re certification.
Took it to a long time family operated propane company in Cedarburg WI. Boehlke Bottled Gas Corp.

During removal of the main gas supply line, for tongue painting, I had found oil in the line. So I wanted the tank OPD valve removed and the tank inverted to remove any oil. I had gotten about 2 tablespoons out the gas line and about the same came out of the tank itself.
The Tech found that the OPD valve was in need of replacement. I was able watch as tech did the service and he explained everything completely.

They charged me $35 for the valve and $5 for the recert.
Engraved new recert date in tank and added a sticker to the inside of the handle ring with their business info and recert date.

$35 for valve, $5 for recert and $26.03 for propane fill

Will do the same to other tank when it is empty.

I just showed up at their location without an appointment , and 1/2 hour later I was out the door. Overall I was very pleased with the service and price.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
Yes, the oil stunk to high heaven.

I know a little oil in the system is not a big deal. I figured as long as I was at it, I would remove what I could of 25 years of build up of oil in system.