Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
add a port to a fiberglass tank

Hello, all!
I need to add an inlet to a fiberglass waste tank that fits in my 1972 Streamline. Does anyone have experience with this? The big issue....I do not have access to the inside of the tank (shape is too convoluted). All work needs to be done on the outside of the tank. Impossible? Thanks!

1972 33' Streamline Emperor Crown Imperial
1949 30' Spartan Royal Mansion
2012 Nissan Armada
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I'm surprised it is a fiberglass tank. But I don't know your vintage trailer at all. If it is fiberglass, I believe you could drill a hole, and "lay up" fiberglass and resin around the fitting you want to add. Kinda like working on a boat.

Airstream waste water tanks are polyethylene plastic, usually rotomolded. This material is thermoplastic, meaning it can be melted and retain its original strength. Factories can "spin weld" fittings to polyethylene tanks. Some folks have heat guns where you can "braze" a fitting to a tank with pretty good success.

And I use rubber grommets because I'm generally lazy and can't spin weld. With this component you get the right size hole saw, deburr the hole you drilled, install the grommet, and then install the fitting you want. These grommets will not work on fiberglass tanks as they are too rough on the outside. The grommet seals on the ID of the drilled hole, and the OD of the installed ABS pipe. Most of my connections were 1 1/2 ABS pipe.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1312 Plumbing New Holding Tanks Grommet Side View.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	272813   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks Grommets Installed.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	272814  

dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
When I repaired my 68 Trade Wind, I had to replace the black tank. I ordered a factory replica from Inland RV. Very high quality fiberglass, and expensive. It came with no fittings, I had to cut the hole for the vent stack and the toilet. Fittings were included with the tank and following the instructions I fiberglassed the fitting in. I a used West System epoxy resin instead of polyester and fiberglass cloth. The process was very easy to do. Make sure you rough up the gel coat before you glass in the fittings to give the resin better adhesion.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Try the Fastener section here:
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote