Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
3/8" vs. 1/4" Propane Quick Connects

I'm about to add a propane quick connect to our 2006 Bambi. But I've now run into a quandary: What size quick connect at the trailer, 3/8" or 1/4"? My goal is to use it for two uses: a propane generator, and a BBQ/grill. From my understanding, most campers come with a 1/4" QC. There are plenty of hoses and adapters for this size. However, the GenConnex generators come with 3/8" fittings, and they recommended a 3/8" QC to match, then use hose with 3/8" QC on each side.

I noted that they also offer a hose with 1/4" male to 3/8" female to be hooked up to a camper with 1/4" QC.

I thought I'd just put in the 3/8" QC onto the trailer as GenConnex advised, and then use a hose or adapter to go a 1/4" BBQ if I needed it. However, I haven't found any adapters or hoses that do this. Now I'm question whether 3/8" QC is so rare that there are few adapters, and maybe I should just install the 1/4" QC instead.

Advice?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
3/8" vs. 1/4" Propane Quick Connects

3/8 quick connects are easy to find on Amazon. I recently documented a complete 3/8 setup on the forums for my Champion 3400 genset. Do try a search.

Other than the quick connect sets, the rest of the brass bits and pieces to adapt everything came from the local big box home improvement stores...just took a bit of digging. I am certain that you can adapt a 1/4 inch hose to connect to a 3/8 quick connect port.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Do try a search.
FWIW, searching "Champion 3400 quick connect" doesn't return your thread in the first fifteen. Why not just post a link to the information you offer instead of brow beating the OP?
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Probably because I’m a) on a phone, and b) am in too many threads to remember them all at my age....

Try searching for the term “3/8 quick connect” in Airforums using google...
Old 05-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
3/8 quick connects are easy to find on Amazon. I recently documented a complete 3/8 setup on the forums for my Champion 3400 genset. Do try a search.
Thanks. BTW, I searched using all sorts of combinations of your name and Champion 3400, and didn't come up with the post. I would be most grateful if you could link to it.

Update: I found it. Starting at Page 2 of this post. Thanks!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-175058-2.html
Old 05-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corona , California
That’s the one!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I went through all this and put together a detailed post, way back when. Maybe this will help!

http://www.introductiontoeverything....y-rvs-lp-port/
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Make sure the fitting are rated for propane use. I wouldn't want to here about a spark igniting the propane and you ending up on the moon.

Happy Streaming..
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Just a general note:

Propane and natural gas run at pressures measured in "inches of water" which is rather low pressures at point of use.

Fittings and hoses reduce flow because of their length and bends. When I set up my port and connections for my 3400 watt generator, I looked at 1/4 inch fittings and hoses, and considered that I could get better potential gas flow going up one size.

My thinking was that I'd like to have the generator as far away from me as possible, so I have two 12 foot extension hoses. If they were 1/4 inch, that could possibly lead to pressure drop and generator issues under load. So I went up a size, and standardized on that for the generator. This way I'm fairly confident I can draw full load from my tanks without pressure drop. (assuming the regulator does not choke...)

I don't currently have a BBQ that burns propane, but if I did, it's really no issue to either adapt the 3/8 port down to 1/4 to mate with the BBQ fittings, or just break into the piping I had to add for the 3/8 port, and add another 1/4" quick connect.

The important thing is all the adapters, piping, and fittings need to be non-sparking BRASS, rated for propane use. Although houses are piped with black iron pipe, they are not moving about on the road...so brass is less likely to generate sparks around the connections in an Airstream...Thats why modern AS are piped with copper and brass fittings for the propane stuff.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I went through all this and put together a detailed post, way back when. Maybe this will help!

http://www.introductiontoeverything....y-rvs-lp-port/
Thiel, thanks so much. When I followed what you did, I now know what I'd have to do if I went the pure 3/8" route instead. I hadn't thought about making adapters with back to back NPT items, but after your example, this is obvious. A couple 12' hoses, a few adapter, and I'm in business.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry9000 View Post
Thiel, thanks so much. When I followed what you did, I now know what I'd have to do if I went the pure 3/8" route instead. I hadn't thought about making adapters with back to back NPT items, but after your example, this is obvious. A couple 12' hoses, a few adapter, and I'm in business.
Just be sure to use pipe dope rated for propane, or the YELLOW Teflon tape rated for gas use. The standard white Teflon tape used for water piping will not seal gas fittings properly.

In any case, be careful to keep pipe dope and Teflon tape off the ends of the fittings so bits of the sealant or tape do not get into touchy items like regulators or orifices downstream...

And, anytime you are doing gas plumbing, be sure to check for leaks using an electronic sniffer, or good old soapy water and look for bubbles...gas leaks are no fun.