Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
1st Trip Out and Lost Propane Tank Cover

After buying our new 2013 22FB Sport and going on our first trip, we got home and realized we lost the cover to our propane tanks. Not the entire cover, but just the top plastic piece. Note: We've got the white plastic cover. Before I call Airstream and buy a new one, I wanted some more info from someone who knows Airstreams better than me. 1. Do I really need a cover at all? I've seen some Airstreams with the aluminum LPG bottles rolling around with no cover at all. 2. Should I upgrade to the aluminum cover? If they even make one for the 20# bottles.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I think the cover is unnecessary and actually like the honesty of exposed propane tanks. No cover also makes them easier to change when empty.

But, that is only my opinion. However there is no technical reason that any cover is needed over the propane tanks. It is aesthetic only.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We lost ours also and ironically also on our first trip. A few days later we were passing the factory Ohio and stopped to get another one. When it came time to install I got a better latch from Grangers ( I think) made out of stainless steel and it worked much better. Replace it, or not, your choice. You are not alone. These things happen.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I bought a cover, installed it and took it off. I returned it to the store after removal. The little Bambi II just did not look right with a bottle cover.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
First off, sorry for your troubles (never should have happened IMO). That being said, my first phone call would have been to Airstream in OH. Explain to them all you want is for them to replace the top cover of the gas tank, free shipping and consider themselves lucky that the problem is minor but could have been serious if the cover hit a person or thing. Didn't the trailer come with a guarantee?? You did say 2013.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Any idea who exactly I might talk to in OH? I called them today and they were less than helpful.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen5 View Post
Any idea who exactly I might talk to in OH? I called them today and they were less than helpful.
You should be talking to your Airstream dealer who is responsible for preparing your trailer for delivery, including latching the cover.

You don't need the propane cover but it does protect the bottles from weather and the hoses from sun damage, and makes cleaning your trailer easier.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote