Old 11-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
PORTLAND , Maine
1993 b190 propane tank

Hi. Im new to the forum and this is my first thread.

I have a 1993 b190 Airstream and I'm in Maine. I have a 9 gallon 40 lb tank under rear side door. Ive discovered a propane leak at the release valve. Brought it to the RV servicers and they said i need a new tank and it would cost 665 dollars just for the new tank(not inckuding labour to install it) Is there a place i can get a less expensive tank? Is there an alternative?

Thank you.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CgZito View Post
Hi. Im new to the forum and this is my first thread.
Welcome to the AirForums!
Quote:
I have a 1993 b190 Airstream and I'm in Maine. I have a 9 gallon 40 lb tank under rear side door. Ive discovered a propane leak at the release valve. Brought it to the RV servicers and they said i need a new tank and it would cost 665 dollars just for the new tank(not including labor to install it) Is there a place i can get a less expensive tank?
Amazon has a 10-gallon tank for a much lower price. Can't guarantee it will fit, however. You'll have to check dimensions yourself before ordering.(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...E3TS9552VHXZN3)
Quote:
Is there an alternative?
Not really. There isn't a good place on a B-van to put a portable cylinder. You also can't use a horizontal tank from a forklift or similar. While your tank and a forklift's tank are both horizontal tanks, they're not designed the same way and aren't interchangeable.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums!

Your new tank has to fit the brackets that held the old. Well, it doesn't *have* to, but problem is that the labor becomes cost-degenerative if they have to start doing chassis work in order to accommodate different brackets. For your comparison purposes, RV service labor is a consistent $120 per hour everywhere in my metro area right now (Houston Texas). RV servicers will often post a labor advisory sign right on the front door to let people come to terms with that sticker shock before they even walk into the facility.

Can you see a tank plate anywhere on the tank? If so, it should have the manufacturer's name and a catalog number on it, and if you are lucky, it will state exact length and diameter as well. Armed with that information, you might be in a better position to start tracking down replacement options.

If you get REALLY lucky, the original manufacturer will be able to email you tank schematics that you will be able to compare to other potential schematics. What you DON'T want to have happen is to acquire a tank that appears like it should be OK, take it in for installation, only to be told blah blah blah, we can't use that tank because blah blah blah. Meanwhile the labor meter is ticking.

Are you able to post a pic of your tank?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
OP, I'm not sure if you are still accessing this thread, but here is a description of my LP tank replacement process. My rig is much younger than yours and the tanks are likely different, but you may find some procedural pointers in this.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: REPLACING A LEAKING LP TANK ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE