Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
1975 Overlander Fridge

Slowly getting the old girl in shape. The fridge works on AC power, and when I tried it on gas, I was able to get the pilot lit, and it stayed lit. The control dial inside at the bottom of the fridge is hard to turn, this is the one that I assume controls the gas valve, goes from 1 thru to MAX. Should I be able to see/hear a flame from the burner? I'm thinking the valve isn't working.
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
The flame you see is not the pilot but the burner that is on all the time. The valve adjusts the flame height for fridge temp control.....Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
So there is no pilot,that makes sense. So the flame I see is the burner, and it should change when the dial is turned then, correct?
This place is great, thanks for the help.
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I had a control knob disintegrate from use while being hard to turn. I now use some silicone spray lubricant (seems to have less odor than other spray lubricants) on both ends of all the control knob shafts. Messy, but a definite improvement. Much easier to turn now.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I like silicon lube too. I also don't know the proximity of the knob to the flame, but I would definitely shut it down and close the gas valve if I was going to spray the lube anywhere near the flame.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
In general, most keep their cool and about the right temp at the 4 setting. Leave it there for a while and maybe put a remote readout thermometer inside to see how it works. If it holds a temp in the mid to upper 30's you are probably good to go, and the flame is modulating properly. Well, that is assuming it is warm enough in the trailer to put some load on the system. You may also find that when it is quite warm, the temp of the refrigerator drifts up a little, and when it is cool to cold out, the temp goes down, sometimes even freezing things with the thermostat on low. That is because at low temps, the low flame still provides enough heat to cause the cooling system to operate. It is just the nature of the beast.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
You have the RM100 model fridge that is very good. The flame height doesn't modulate a great deal when turning the dial towards max. Since the fridge works on electric, you know the ammonia inside is good and there are no leaks. If the fridge does not work as well on gas you should clean the orifice and the chimney tube and also check gas pressure. Those little things will cause the fridge not to cool on gas operation. The flame should be completely blue with no yellow.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
Dometic Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I had a control knob disintegrate from use while being hard to turn. I now use some silicone spray lubricant (seems to have less odor than other spray lubricants) on both ends of all the control knob shafts. Messy, but a definite improvement. Much easier to turn now.
Sam
I had the same problem and now trying to find the knobs. Anyone know where to get them. I have a 1974 Overlander with original refer. Not with the trailer right now so can't rember the model. Thanks in advnce for any assistnace.
ronsgto is offline   Reply With Quote