Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Question 1/4" inverted male flare adapter?

I bought a Mr. Heater Propane auto changeover two-stage regulator the other day. When I got it home I was surprised that my ¼” pigtails would not fit. The box says the inlets are 1/4" inverted female flare inlets. So is this some kind of marketing scheme to get me to buy special Mr. Heater pigtails? I assume I can buy two 1/4" inverted male flare adapters, but I have had no luck locating them at my local hardware stores. Any suggestions as to where I might find them?...or am I stuck having to buy two Mr. Heater pigtails.

Thanks for any tips.

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Go to the Mr. Heater website and see if you can find what you need there.
Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Gas Connections

Keep in mind that flamable (yea I know its mispelled) gas connections are left handed. Is that the problem? If it is contact a local bottle gas company to see if they have the adapters you need.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I ordered Mr. Heater Propane Fitting F273729 1/4" Male pipe thread X 1/4" Inverted Female Flare. It arrived today however the male end is too big to fit into 1/4" inverted female flare inlets and the female side isn't big enough to screw in my pigtails. So at this point I am questioning my sanity...I mean how complex can this be, even after about six hours of intense research on the internet and visiting about 6 hardware stores and talking to five people I am still back where I started. What am I missing? Could this be a manufacturing defect?.....or is this simply a defect of my mind.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Smoky,

Standard flare fittings for gas use are typically JIC - 37 degree, or SAE - 45 degree. I'm not sure if what you have is a proprietary fitting, or a pipe vs. tubing issue. Most of the Big Square Box home improvement stores carry limited inventroy when it come to plumbing fittings. Have you tried a plumbing supply house, or maybe even McMaster-Carr?

www.mcmaster.com

If your not sure about what you see in their on-line catalog you can call their customer service line. They have been very helpful to us. I recently had to order some 4,000 psi JIC fitted hoses for a project, and they walked me right through the inventory with hoses, fittings, adapters, etc...

Does this look like what you need?
Attached Images

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks for the reply...yes that looks like what I need.

This is the regulator I have.
MR HEATER F273766 REGULATOR 2STAGE PRPNE

Here are the fittings I ordered online.
Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters

Perhaps I ordered the wrong adapter?

I'm starting to think I don't have the right pigtails....The ones I have will fit into a single type regulator but I've never had a dual one. Do they make special pigtails for dual regulators?