Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #113
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Laura , Do not get down on the international. We went two years ago to Perry by ourselves determainened to have a good time. We are young in WBCCI standards 49 and 52 We parked in the dog area it is better than the VAC all have dogs and seem to get along real well. We new no one at Perry now we have about 8 couples that we are best friends with. We met several of them this year. Matt & Beth, Leo, Hunter, Chris, Ester, Just to name a few. We get together in the evenings and have fun with High Tea aka happy hour and later supper with a cookout or something to eat. It is all that you make of it . If you park close to the Dog friends we get to park on grass and usually in a good spot they take care of the dog lovers for some reason. We did not go to many of the evening events but we had fun EVERY evening by someones trailer. It can be great fun and we have made friends for life that we will see every year at this time. The club will change over time but we decided that we were part of that change and part of that is having fun and making new friends for life that are members of WBCCI . Hope to see you next year at Madison.

WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Bill - I agree with you. The members who met with the VAC seemed very sincere. I went to the Unit Leadership sessions and had the opportunity to speak with a couple of them again. They aren't the whole committee, but the information I've seen from the committee is very encouraging. I am also very surprised with the very OPEN posting of the recommendations and survey results on the WBCCI website.

Andy - we had a fantastic time in both Perry and Bozeman. Friends are exactly the reason for membership. In just 3 years in the club, we have met many great folks.

Can't wait for Madison!

Matt

Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #115
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I guess it didnt make sense what I said. But I didnt mean to say that they didnt seem sincere. They did, I think they wanted to help, but I dont think there intent was to get a young persons point of view. I think its because the VAC is powerful and has lots of members.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
1975 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
Eaton , Colorado
2020 Committee

I believe that at least some of the members of the 2020 Committee are sincere in their interest to know what VAC AND "younger" members want and need from the WBCCI in order to sustain membership and gain new members. Several members of the committee spent time outside of the VAC Happy Hour (days before and after) asking my husband and me our opinions and thoughts on the WBCCI. We felt like we were heard and some of our thoughts that are shared by others were in the 2020 Report.

Paul Waddell's post on the "Madison" thread said something to the effect of "[find a couple of the hipper, older members to help make changes]," and this is what I think a few of the open-minded members of the 2020 Committee are attempting to do. Not all of the WBCCI leadership is anti-VAC, anti-AIR, or anti-change. One of the 2020 Committee members who really listened to us said that the hard part in changing WBCCI is that we have to realize it's going to take time and we need to work within the system, not against it. The best way to do this is to get involved at the Unit level which leads to leadership opportunities at the Region and then International levels. What if there were more young, VAC, camping-and-fun-Rally-minded leaders at the Unit and Region levels over the next few years? We have to be part of a "grass-roots" campaign for change. Think of the possibilities......

~Lori

1959 Globetrotter "GlobTro"
1967 Safari "Dusty"
1968 Safari "Cheyenne"
1975 Sovereign "Lovey"
1972 Ambassador "For Sale"
1975 Romany "Parts"
1970 Overlander "Parts"
1968 Ambassador "Larry" (for parts)
59 GlobTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #117
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Well Im glad they were trying, and I knew they were, those poor people had a tough job. Im glad someone is doing it though. However many problems start at a unit level and member get sick of the politics behind it, and just leave before seeking other opitions. What do they do, they quit.

However, I have seen one thing, since I have talked about the VAC, and my thoughts were posted on here, I feel I have gotten the cold sholder from many people.
Let me say this, Its what I think, if you dont like it, sorry, but its how I feel. I started this thread to see what others think, and see if anyone eles were having "issues" with the WBCCI at their units, regions, etc. I think people take things way to seriously. Im happy to be a member of the VAC, and I told the truth, I didnt twist things, I said that I had just joined, and that I was not parked with the VAC, so that may have effected things. And International was the only VAC event I have been to, and there is a lot going on at International, all of these things may have made things diffrent than if I was to go to a region VAC rally.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Don't fear Laura fun is out there!

I am 40, joined WBCCI when I bought my Airstream 5 years ago. First I was in the Washington State Unit, then Arizona but I have finally found my place in the 4 Corners Unit. I believe more and more of the younger set are investing in Airstreams and keeping the dream alive.
Keep looking Laura and if you're in the 4 corners area come Rally with us!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
we joined the WBCCI this year ( just turned 40 myself) and are enjoying our AS and the camping experience with our two young children. Making memories and focusing on fun and good times is our goal. I think that everyone is somewhat guarded these days no matter where you go or what club or hobby you have. There needs to be a bit more of the "icebreaker" social events that help newcomers feel welcome at the rallys.
Our local unit #111 really helped make us feel welcome at our first local rally. We are looking forward to attending more rally's and going to the next Intl WBCCI rally.
AS the time flies by one day we will be the old guard at WBCCI and will need to be ready for change requested by new members and not remain stuck in routines for the sake of having routines.
WBCCI #02579
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #120
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Well, I thought I would give everyone an update. After some long talks, and some sleepless nights, my unit is going to make me the 2nd VP. I cant wait, I really hope I can help my unit and try to show the members the WBCCI that I joined for. Thank you all for all your support over the past months!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am not a member of this organization and really do not have time to be a member and participate. I only have limited times I can camp and when I do camp I am not hitting the road until 6:30 P.M. on a friday night. We have to get home by Sunday afternoon to get ready for work the next week.

I spent a good part of my life teaching vocational eduction so I was always getting information about the work force. One important research fact I learned was the amount of leisure time we have today has been cut dramatically. I would think many young people are not able to join because they work longer hours and do not get that many days off. I know since I was placed in a new school I get home 1:30 later then last year. I get to work at 6:30 A.M. and I leave at 5:00 P.M. and it takes me atleast one hour to fight traffic. My wife is not a teacher and she only gets two weeks each year.

Lothlorian

Brian
Old 10-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #122
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
I hear what your saying Brian, It is very hard for people in my age group to be able to join the Club, and be active, I work 2 part time jobs, and go to college 4 days a week, but I try to always find time to camp!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Congrats on the 2nd VP position, Airedale! I know you'll do well!
:-D)
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #124
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Thanks, Ill try to do my best!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
you know what, I still haven't put on my WBCCI numbers even though I have them and may not even put them on.
we went camping this past weekend and i was the second airstream there and we just had a blast with all of our other non AS fellow campers. I did n't have to worry about the broken door lock or any other details on my camper. No votes or mandatory meetings, club politics. We just camped and had a great time.
WBCCI #02579
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Give the club a try first. You won't find many issues at a Unit Rally. We enjoy camping with the unit, with Air Forums members (club and non-club), and with non-Airstream friends. We'll be out the next 4 weekends in a row (both still working, 2 kids in school).

Some folks put their numbers on plexiglass and place it in front and back at a rally. Not exactly regulation, but they won't yell too loudly.

Matt