Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Article about the Washington Unit appeared a few days ago in the Tacoma Tribune

Harboring the Airstream dream | TheNewsTribune.com | Tacoma, WA

The part that I found most interesting (it was reprinted in our local paper this morning) was :

But rising gas prices and what Barber said seems like a general reluctance of younger Airstreamers to join social groups have affected international membership over the years.

“When I joined (in the early 1970s), they had 31,000 members,” Barber said. “Now we’re down under 10,000 members.”
In past times, caravan club members could expect more than 1,000 trailers, or “one big sea of silver,” at national meets, Ortiz said. They’ll be lucky to get anywhere near that at a summer meet in Bozeman, Mont., she said.

As older Airstreamers like Barber and his wife sell their last trailers, Ortiz said it’s up to “the kids” like her, in her 60s, to carry on the traditions and the spirit of adventure put forth by Byam so many decades ago.

As for us, we tried to get involved remotely this winter (the club's headquarters is about 3 1/2 hours from here) and there wasn't anything that really interested us, and our offers to help get a unit website functioning were ignored.

Gas prices IMHO is just an excuse, considering that is a relatively new problem, and that even with the higher gas prices (when you consider a 1000 mile round trip still would only cost about 75 bucks more in the average new SUV/Truck than it did a dollar a gallon ago).

We love social gatherings, and find ourselves talking airstream with SOB owners in camp grounds coming to check out our trailer, sitting around the camp fire etc. But tuxes camping, ceremonies, bean-bag baseball and bridge just isn't what we're looking for as a 30-something family with a kid. I know it is for some people, but seems to be really the focus rather than one of the options. If the statements in the article are facts not opinions, then the club is dying off, especially when the focus is on the 60 somethings instead of the 20 somethings... Retro is in, so recruiting younger members should be easier than ever before.

If there are people on our side of the state that would like to start a unit that would support a more diverse, casual atmosphere, we'd definately jump in the trenches to get it up and going. (Yes you can hold me to that).

Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Article about the Washington Unit appeared a few days ago in the Tacoma Tribune...
--snip---
...We love social gatherings, and find ourselves talking airstream with SOB owners in camp grounds coming to check out our trailer, sitting around the camp fire etc. But tuxes camping, ceremonies, bean-bag baseball and bridge just isn't what we're looking for as a 30-something family with a kid....
---snip---
...If there are people on our side of the state that would like to start a unit that would support a more diverse, casual atmosphere, we'd definately jump in the trenches to get it up and going. (Yes you can hold me to that).
Hi goransons - I also saw the article on the Washington unit - it was pretty interesting.

I totally agree with every word in your post! The thought of tuxes while camping is totally bizarre! Bean bag baseball - no! Bridge... well, I like cards but I'd rather play poker or pinochle!

The kind of things that 2 50-somethings (like us) would like are any outdoor activities related to hiking, 21st century outdoor activities like geocaching and other outdoor things.

We also like social activities like group cook-outs, campfires, card games (poker etc), outdoor games like petanque or bocce. Anything except bean bag baseball while wearing a tux.

Granted, there is a 20 year difference between us but I'm curious, what kind of things pique the interest of a 30-something family??

As for starting a new unit, talk to anyone here who was a charter member of the 4 corners unit. They did the same thing that you were mentioning doing.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
As one of the younger members (24) of the WBCCI - I love my unit (WDCU) but could take it or leave it with the larger club and events (very senior geared!). I can't figure out what we paid $500 for - because we didn't attend a single line dancing or scrapbooking seminar - nor did we find we even associated with anyone outside of the VAC area. Even though VAC members were not necessarily our age - they are certainly young at heart!!!! I prefer happy hour to ice cream social and don't care what age the people we meet are but think that the ones in vintage units tend to be a lot of fun!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #102
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
When I was at international, I was shocked at how diffrent it was from what I thought it would be.

First, the Airstreams were spread out more than I thought, from where I was to the VAC was a bit of a distance, not that I minded the walk, but in the hot sun, it doesnt take long to get a sun burn.

I also went and joined the VAC, this was bittersweet. As much as I would love to say it was the greatest thing I did while at International, it just wasnt. I got mixed reviews from members. I felt like I was an outsider, and at one point, I didnt feel welcome at all. Now, there could be a couple reasons for this, first, I just joined, so I didnt know anyone, and also, I was in a completely diffrent section. However, I did meet some great people, most were from the forums and welcomed me with open arms, but there were others that seemed to look at me like, if we could not allow people into the club, you would be one. Im not sure if this is the way it is, but im hoping not!

I wonder what the money we spend to go really goes to.....

It cant be the cheap bags they give us, where does it go, OH I KNOW, the DJ at the nightstream events that when I went to ask him if he could play something other than country he told me he wasnt allowed to! GREAT!

The bull pen wasnt the best either!

If it was up to me, some things need to change at International!

However one thing was nice, people were for the most part, very friendly!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #103
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Calhan , Colorado
Hi Miss Rivette, I was glad that we met at the rally I had the 16 DWR and I recall you were on your way to Glacier, How did that go. Yes I thought the rally ,very geared towards the older crowd but I have met some life friends and lots of great folks, I think getting into some of these events like the horse shoes was not very inviting as a new comer or anything for that matter, I felt very welcome with select groups unfortunately none from my area, but had very much fun, being " at Large" Anyway it was really cool to meet you after doing the forum thing, and your dads great to. I bet when most of these folks were younger they were more physical in their rally, The number one thing that I did right though was I bought a cheap bike which let me visit lots of folks easily, very good sugestion from one of the other forum members. Change is tough and the national rally is a very amazing event concidering the amount of folks , you have to orchestrate, Best Regards and I hope you are the right person that I meet if not Hi, CC
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #104
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
YOU HAVE A DWR? OMG, i love thoes, can I barrow it? My dad an I were at Michaels for the forum happy hour if that is what you were talking about. Check out the blog, it has pictures from Glacier!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi Laura
Glad ya got back safe! I followed as much as possible . I enjoyed the pics and comentary.Not boring at all. Although I was kinda afraid that U might have the question U just raised. I have not talked at length with any one WBCCI member but I kinda get the same feeling U did. "I DONT THINK THEY REALLY WANT ME" and I don't think they really care whether they get new members. Cause they are afraid we might have a new way of doin things and they don't want that. Thats why they are standoffish.
Thanks I'll stay with my AIR friends whom we have met this yr and are comfortable with.
Hope to see ya next month
Roger
Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #106
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Calhan , Colorado
Oh I got to disagree with you I feel as a brand new member they are desperate for new members. I came in late and was met by 3 vehicles with lots of " great folks including the president of the Arizona group, all were very nice and did not want me to stay at the bull pen by myself. I was incrourage to join lots of groups from very friendly people but unfortunately they are to far away, The only disapointment was my group that is close to me were not very reliable in there invitations to meet, no worries as we don't mind being members at large until we meet the right group that is close enough to make sense in joining. Laura we did meet as you and your dad as you came came by and almost took my AS, but I caught you , LOL Thanks for your kind remarks, CC. AS far as the question above I think change is hard when your dealing with people that have been doing it the same way for decades, Most have great hearts and will eventually have to change with the times, and it will be very hard, thats were you younger folks will come into play, CC
Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #107
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Well, I did get a great feeling from my unit and felt very welcomed, it was just at international and when I met some people from the VAC that I got this vibe. Like I said, it could be that I was new and in a diffrent section, but I just didnt like what I saw.

Yes, i saw your DWR, and I really think it would look good at my house, what do you think?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #108
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Calhan , Colorado
Laura it would look great at your house , I am all for it. I do think you have a great point in the location of where you are parked, I could understand if you were further away from the central location it would be very difficult or atleast more so to feel part of the event, I coming in later had the opportunity to park in a person spot that left, which put me rather close to the central location and various units. This gave me a more intimate view of the "happenings", but sadly I had know idea how to get involved, coming in so late as I felt all the activities already had there perscribed amount of people. But people watching is my enjoyment and meeting you was very nice, Thanks again for your support, C Clinton
Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #109
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Yea, Leo.....it was you I was talking about!!!! Are you kidding me lol. You, Tim and Kimber, Carol and Kate made this International great. I think we did great outside the VAC area too, I can think of two night where we had a great time away from the VAC area!!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
We just got back from our trip to Bozeman! We enjoyed meeting several of you. Laura, April, Michael, and Andy I recognize. I'm sure there are several others, but associating names and Forums Names is tough. Leo - it was great to see you again! Our son really got a kick out of learning to ride a Segway. We really had a great time meeting new folks and seeing friends from previous WBCCI events!

A few quick thoughts on WBCCI and International Rallies:
- We joined the VAC this year (no vintage trailer yet) and loved the "curbside cafe", planned club programs (Dale Schwamborn, Rivet 101, Polishing, Airstreams of the 50s 60s and 70s, etc) and surprise events - like the Region Presidents' Happy Hour and 20/20 discussion with the VAC.
- We loved "camping" in a field of hundreds. We spent most of our evening hours OUTSIDE!
- The WBCCI had several very interesting seminars and provided tremendous facilities for the party. Water, Electric, Pumpout, and meeting facilities were all as expected. The setting (Bozeman and MSU) exceeded expectations.
- The folks in the VAC are terrific. The Sunday open house was huge!
- We travelled to Bozeman with another couple of young WBCCI members. Not quite in your age bracket Laura - but certainly below the average age of the club. Traveling in a Caravan (2 or more trailers) is terrific! I recommend it!
- The friends we spent time with from previous WBCCI events ranged from their 30s to their 70s. Funny thing - they are all interested in growing the club and focusing on friends and fellowship. Our friends (many are more involved in leadership than we) are supportive of change. They suggest constructive changes that don't disregard the needs of longtime club members.

I suggest you consider the club and the International as an opportunity to meet others and work on the change you want. Note that the club DOES want to know how the "younger folks" feel. The fact that the VAC received visits from Region Officers and from the 20/20 Committee should show that to be true.

We had a blast. We attended more informal events, than formal, but really enjoyed both. Hope to see many of you at future events including the Cherry Blossom Rally and the 2009 gathering in Madison.

Matt and Beth
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #111
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
- The folks in the VAC are terrific. The Sunday open house was huge!
- We travelled to Bozeman with another couple of young WBCCI members. Not quite in your age bracket Laura - but certainly below the average age of the club. Traveling in a Caravan (2 or more trailers) is terrific! I recommend it!
I suggest you consider the club and the International as an opportunity to meet others and work on the change you want. Note that the club DOES want to know how the "younger folks" feel. The fact that the VAC received visits from Region Officers and from the 20/20 Committee should show that to be true.

Matt and Beth

Good point, but Im not sure that the 2020 committee came for that reason, I think they are trying to keep the VAC happy because they know a lot of people are in the club. Not to see what younger people are thinking.

Nice to see you got home alright!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Good point, but Im not sure that the 2020 committee came for that reason, I think they are trying to keep the VAC happy because they know a lot of people are in the club. Not to see what younger people are thinking.

Nice to see you got home alright!
Laura,

Not sure that I agree with you on the 20/20 committee. All of them took a lot of notes just to keep the VAC folks happy. Have you read their report to the IBT which is posted on the WBCCI web site? I had my doubts about another research committee, but they seem determined to see that changes are made.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote