Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Erik,
It sounds like you need to get to some of the Forum rallies. We have attended the midwest, metro-detroit, and We-can-tow-it and they are just what you describe. Most attendees have to head back to the salt mine on monday, so the are usually just long weekends. No WBCCI, no formalities, just lots of crazy airstreamers having a good time with their families.
And you are already a member!

AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17 View Post
Erik,
It sounds like you need to get to some of the Forum rallies. We have attended the midwest, metro-detroit, and We-can-tow-it and they are just what you describe. Most attendees have to head back to the salt mine on monday, so the are usually just long weekends. No WBCCI, no formalities, just lots of crazy airstreamers having a good time with their families.
And you are already a member!
Heh. The style and layout of this forum is so 'busy' that I never even noticed there is a separate Rally section. Am reviewing and possibly re-planning my summer now.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #87
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
If you want things to change at your unit level, you have to help make the change. If you want to have a 3 day weekend rally, volunteer and host the rally. If you build it, they will come.

If your unit is not open to your hosting a rally you could either find a near by unit that is or start a new unit. It only takes 10 members and a lot of persistence to start a new unit. It can be done.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
I know it has been awhile since I got on here ...snip... Should I consider changing units?
Hi Laura

Changing units can have 2 meanings...
- Changing to another unit
- Changing things in your existing unit.

I would stay with your existing unit for now. Go ahead and try the second VP position. It would give you some good experience if you should decide to ever start your own unit. Or, if you stay with your current unit you'll have the experience to play at a higher level! If it doesn't work out for you you'll always have the option to step down.

Start out by suggesting some small changes. If you make some positive changes slowly they will be well received. Initiate the planning of some camping outings. They don't have to be formal. Get in touch with some members and do some spontaneous outings. Start small and eventually work bigger. You're young, intelligent and have a lot of great ideas. Step up to the plate and give it your best!

Good luck!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #89
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Okay, Im starting to wonder if people really read what I said. I said that I knew that to change something, you, yourself needs to do something. I understand this, I have been a member for 6 months now! I hear that our 2nd vice President position has been filled, so no need to worry about that. Im going to Bozeman looking to have a good time, and frankly put this unit crap behind me. As far as planning a rally. I hosted a forum rally, and might do it again in the fall. My father aka Airboss has planned a rally for next month for our WBCCI unit, and not one person outside of our family has signed on to come, NOT ONE! Why should I have motivation to plan a rally if this is the responce im going to get?
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Getting people to sign up to attend a rally shouldn't be a problem but it is. Campgrounds are demanding a head count sometimes as much as 6 to 8 weeks ahead with 50% payment non refundable. This is hard for the person setting up the rally to accomplish if no one will make a commitment ahead of time. We have to be willing to let the rally master know in a timely manner if we plan on attending otherwise we will stop having rallies. This is the same if its a Forums, FMCA, Good Sams or WBCCI rally. The rally can be anything you want it to be but only if you take part.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Don't close out the WBCCI without attending a couple of buddy rallies. Our unit is definitely "established" with a set of customs that change slowly. But they are very interested in younger folks (with kids) and have been very nice to our teenagers. I will also add that many of the folks we met last year at the International were of a mind similar to yours. They have found the club fun via their unit (4CU, WDCU, etc.) or via the "sub-culture" in the VAC.

We enjoy the club and are working w/in our unit for small changes. We also have enjoyed a couple of forum rallies. If you are able to make the trip, try the Falluminum in north GA (see Forum Rallies).

We are leaving Thursday for our second International and looking forward to renewing friendships. Our son is hoping to see friends from last year.

Matt
Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
The "Blue Beret" regularly runs ads for an air ambulance service. Nuff said.
So does the Good Sam magazine. So I guess that's a club for old fogies, too.

Oh crap! So does the Internet! Well, everyone under 75, get off the internet, since it's only for old people.

(Yeah I know that post was old, but I just saw this thread.)

--33 year old Airstreamer, have had mine for 3 years.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
I found this subject while pondering some of the very same thoughts that led Airedale to begin the topic.

We’d received the “Blue Beret” as an intro to WBCCI from the dealer and both my wife and I found it kind of scary – like looking at folks who belonged to a fraternal group that we couldn’t identify with. Other posters have reflected back to what amounts to sociologic changes in the social needs of all of us. Haven’t read the book “Bowling Alone” but the title alone suggests generational change.

Before finding Airedale (& others) threads I wondered why something like Facebook couldn’t be adapted to fit. My kids may belong (mostly to see what their friends are revealing) but the notion of creating a profile that allows others to match themselves up with like-kind has a strong appeal to us.

I don’t care what folks look like or believe in, I just want to know and find others who might be friends down the road cause they like doing some of the same things we do.

Joiners? Sure, yes I have more that a little experience being a cog in a big wheel. So long as the wheel is going in one direction and not spinning like a top. So it isn’t a lack of wanting to get involved but rather defining what we want to get involved with.

Having said all that, my heart goes out to all those who have toiled long and hard to preserve Mr. Bynum’s legacy. It's more a matter of what can I do to continue to the adventure (and that’s what it should be) to be an Airstreamer.

If it takes creating a new section that allows for an expanded profile, or giving folks a smorgasboard of choices as to destination or activities that help define a unit or wide area group (is that what VAC means?), then count me in to help.

B, B & B
Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferry360 View Post
We’d received the “Blue Beret” as an intro to WBCCI from the dealer and both my wife and I found it kind of scary – like looking at folks who belonged to a fraternal group that we couldn’t identify with.
This was my very thought when I read the copy given me by my trailer's previous owner. The magazine depicted activities so out of my realm of interest I automatically gave up any notion of joining the WBCCI. Now I'm sure the folks in those pictures are very nice, but I'm afraid bridge, crochete and rows of gentemen standing at attention just didn't do it for me. I belonged to a fraternity very briefly. Don't want to experience that again, thanks.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
This was my very thought when I read the copy given me by my trailer's previous owner. The magazine depicted activities so out of my realm of interest I automatically gave up any notion of joining the WBCCI. Now I'm sure the folks in those pictures are very nice, but I'm afraid bridge, crochete and rows of gentemen standing at attention just didn't do it for me. I belonged to a fraternity very briefly. Don't want to experience that again, thanks.
Absolutely! That magazine does nothing to promote growth in the club, IMHO
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
I'm 39, and find that Airstreams are more popular with young people than I expected. Nice post.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #97
S.S.SLOAN

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Belgrade , Montana
Airdale, we'll be out for the VAC open house. We'd love to keep an eye out for you and say hello if we happen by your camp today or later in the week. What area are you parked in? We are a little older than you but with the gap in ages in the WBCCI I think we are considered pretty close in age (30's,early 40's) with little kids in tow....I'd love to meet you. Leah
Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #98
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I'm in Red 1 row 3 4th rig in. I'm staying in a 1997 30ft Limited. I haven't been able to make any of the vac events other than when there was a 20/20 guy was there asking for ideas for improvements.

PM me with your area and ill come see you.

But since being here I have seen and heard a lot. International is really a place to meet new people and bridge the gap between units and international level issues.First I have seen that units arnt taking voting as seriously as I think they should. Some people just want to throw out a number and call it good. What they arnt thinking is that these people and their actions may not have an effect on their term but maybe the next 2 international presidents or the International board. These people are the future and current leaders of the WBCCI. People are simply voting to be done with it and not worry. What they don't see is that although these leaders may not be in our home units or maybe not even from the same state or country as us, their actions will effect all of us one day. I simply want to see this club grow into the camping group and club Wally intended it to be. We are forgetting to roots and the values this club started with. I never met Wally, however I don't think he would like to see where it has ended up. Infact I think he would roll over in his grave if he knew what was really going on. Officers use and abuse their powers. This is a fact and I have seen it. As my first time here, things are very diffrent that I thought they would be. Not all in bad ways, but there need to be changes. I plan on going back to my unit, tell them how I feel and go from there. I didn't want to get into the politics of the wbcci but I'm also not going to sit around and complain about them and not do anything. I'm an out spoken person. I'm sure many of you know this already, but I wanted this to be more about camping then politics. But if I want to save the wbcci, or what I think the wbcci should be then I must act now while I'm young and I hope I have a voice loud enough so everyone can hear me. I may be young but that can work in my favor. Sorry to cut this short but my eyes are getting heavy after a long day. Ill write more when I'm on my computer. These blackberry keys are starting to hurt my thumbs lol!

Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote