Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #71
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Everyone wants me to join the 4CU, but there are a couple problems, First, my father and my trailer are already members, second, I live in MI, its kinda far for a rally. So, that is not an answer for me, but I did meet some really great people at the We Can Tow It rally, and got many invites to many rallys!

Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I have to agree with Laura. The units are the equivalent to the local chapter of other organizations. It really isn’t practical to become a member of a distant unit unless you feel like traveling across the country to attend your units rallys or other events. I recently joined 4CU but then again, I also live in New Mexico.

I’m also not so sure that simply by joining the 4CU is the answer to instituting some change in the WBCCI. The best thing that a young person can do is to join their own local unit and get active and involved. Since people frequently resist change, the best approach to take is to “add additional” instead of “changing existing.” Encourage others with your same thoughts and values to join too. In time, the unit can evolve in a more positive way rather than stagnate and dwindle away.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Find a Unit and HELP it.

I definitely understand the problem of distance. Our home unit meets at the Top of GA Airstream Park. Thats about 3 1/2 hours away. With both of us working and 2 kids in school, it is tough to make many rallies. We have also thought of going to WDCU Rallies. They look like great fun.

We have decided to work with the unit here and be patient. We are hoping to work with the unit on events that don't require Wednesday - Saturday participation. We are Friday evening through Sunday afternoon participants.

So join a unit. Participate when you can. Work within the unit for change. Most importantly, have fun!

Matt
Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #74
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Okay, I think people are reading everything I said, Im a member of the Metro Detroit unit here in MI, and I like it, Im just saying what I see and hear about other units, and some areas we can all work on! Keep the comments flowing with ideas though!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Sampling?

How about sampling? We have attended Rallies hosted by a couple other units. It is interesting to see what good ideas they have. Bring those ideas back home.

Its also fun to meet other folks.

Matt
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #76
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
That is a good idea, and I want to do that this and next summer!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Silvertwin Send a message via MSN to Silvertwin Send a message via Yahoo to Silvertwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
Okay, I think people are reading everything I said, Im a member of the Metro Detroit unit here in MI, and I like it, Im just saying what I see and hear about other units, and some areas we can all work on! Keep the comments flowing with ideas though!
Ok Laura, after this weekend at the Women's We Can Tow It Rally I have decided from now on I am going to tow with....my bicycle! LOL gas is killing me and we have small tow vehicles!

Join me on the Magical Aluminum Mystery Tour!
Silvertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #78
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
yea.......I want to see this!!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
We really like our WBCCI Unit but it's sounding like we need a new unit in the midwest. One that is created 4CU and VAC style. Who, if it came closer to them (say maybe: Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois etc.) would work to create/start and join such a unit?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #80
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Hey, thats a really good idea, maybe we should do it, so what does that take?

Old 05-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Many good units to choose from

There are many good units to choose from in the WBCCI across the USA. Mid-East Coast area(WDCU) North-East(NEU) West (Denver), South West(4CU), etc.... the list goes on. Most people should be able to find a unit that fills their needs in an 8 hour or less drive. If you cannot, join a unit and make it into the unit you "want it" to be. Many of the smaller/older/dying units are crying for younger people to come in and take over. They know they need new blood to live, so donate!

You can be a user or a provider in life. Just think, the unit that you help bring back to life in the end "you" will provide fun for others years down the road.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #82
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
I know it has been awhile since I got on here and said anything. I have been thinking a lot about my unit. I love my unit, but I think some things need to change. I know I havent planned a rally with the WBCCI but my unit has yet to go camping at all this year. I hate the type of people that complain about something and doesnt do anything to change it, so I really cant say much, but something has got to change. What should I do? We have the Second Vice President position open in my unit, should I take it, what does it normally involve? I want to go camping, and all we have done is send out a newsletter, and had a BBQ. Should I consider changing units?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Should I consider changing units?
Yes, you should. Start with trying to change yours!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
My 2 cents...

I admit up front that I haven't finished reading all posts in this thread, but I thought I'd chime in.

I'm one of the youngsters who hasn't joined but eventually will.

For us, the intense structure of the organization is one of the reasons we haven't signed up. After putting in 40 to 50 hour work weeks, and all the stress that comes with just trying to make it through the day with a young family, I want to go camping to relax, not have a militant schedule I need to abide by. Additionally, companies are giving less vacation time. I simply can't abide by some of the local club rules and requirements when I factor in other organizations I'm involved with that are also pulling at my time.

We would simply like to meet up with like minded airstream folks at a remote campsite once or twice a year for perhaps a 4 day weekend. Share a dinner, lunch or two, and head off in the tow vehicle to explore and learn about the area. Let the kids play with other kids around the campsite, and generally just hang out and recharge our batteries. We crave flexibility after weeks of having somebody else (employers, customers, etc.) control our daily schedules. We could coordinate something like that with the use of this forum, but we would like to belong to the larger group as well.

We understand that retirees make up the majority of the club, and as such the events target their needs. Schedules and structure are very important to the generation ahead of me. Not having a bunch of screaming kids running around after 7pm is significant.

We also (I feel I speak for many of the younger crowd) have a genuine desire to learn from the older folks. We want to hear suggestions on how to do things, stories of where you've been. How you got out of a particular sticky situation when you backed the Airstream into an off-camber situation. We need help on how to be better RV'ers so that we continue to enjoy it and stay with it until we become the elders.

It almost sounds like we want a separate airstream club, but it would be silly to start a second one for folks that are just disillusioned with the current environment. Perhaps the WBCCI could actively support the needs of a sub culture of younger folks? Maybe a new section on their website where smaller, informal and family oriented gatherings can be created and posted? Then as we get older, and free time begins to allow, we could slowly migrate into the bigger, more formal events.

~Erik